Would Bluehost unlimited etc let us set up a competing Youtube?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Oct 21, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    Edit to add: I'm just trying to test a concept here, I'm REALLY not actually interested in setting up another Youtube and wish I hadn't put it in the Subject thread now.

But my question is, these sites below talk about UNLIMITED data, downloads, and urls. What is to stop me using the ONE account and hosting ALL my web-clients there? Indeed, some hosts suggest I get into hosting with this purpose in mind!

http://www.allunlimitedwebhosting.com/index.html

I've never used these multiple URL accounts before, and when they start saying UNLIMITED I'm thinking there's got to be some basic catch that I've overlooked.

OK, now please hit me with a dose of reality

http://www.bluehost.com/
    http://www.hostgator.com/

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

their unlimited plan is kinda like at&ts it isn't really unlimited...

Another site I do with a friend used host gator for hosting, we have about 50GB of media files and they shut us down... We had to span the site over 3 shared hosting accounts because it was cheaper than (V)dedicated...

If you want a youtube competitor, first off good luck, and 2nd off you will eventually need a server farm that YOU have access to... Shared hosting isn't for you.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

But isn't that false advertising? Don't you guys in the States have a version of the ACCC?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Competition_and_Consumer_Commission

I really don't want to do a Youtube...

I run my own business website —*not huge at all,
    but I also run a greenie blog, and might consider merging those plans together and stop wasting time looking for "Free" storage online that actually wastes my time and stop dealing with Blogger's limitations.

So I'm really interested in anyone else with Bluehost? Anyone got some BIG sites and used some BIG bandwidth without trouble?

4. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hey, just cause you can't match their prices... ;)

Please don't be offended... you probably offer darn good service and if I lived in the USA, I'd probably use someone reliable that I also bumped into at Macrumours now and then. I'm just trying to understand, that's all, and I even found an AUSSIE webhost that offers 3gig storage for $24 bucks Australian a YEAR.

I ... just... don't... know...

6. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Yep, there's no such think as Unlimited bandwidth or Unlimited storage. There's a limitation somewhere, you just have to dig to find it in the fine print.

7. Kathy223 macrumors newbie

Agreed. Unlimited has it's limitations. If they think you're being too much of a server hog, they'll shut your site down. Along with unlimited is "unmetered" and that's not true either, they do actually meter your usage, but again, only if they notice most of the traffic is coming from your server.

There's no way to run a site like youtube, especially if it's popular, off of a shared server. For one thing, most don't have the necessary apps installed on the shared servers.

8. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Unless they spelt this out in the fine print, wouldn't that be breach of contract or false advertising.

Again — from my freshly edited first post:

I'm just trying to test a concept here, I'm REALLY not actually interested in setting up another Youtube and wish I hadn't put it in the Subject thread now.

But my question is, these sites below talk about UNLIMITED data, downloads, and urls. What is to stop me using the ONE account and hosting ALL my web-clients there? Indeed, some hosts suggest I get into hosting with this purpose in mind!

9. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

It also says this in their terms which leaves it very open ended.

" Any hosting account which, due to extraordinary resource utilization, negatively impacts other customers,
    and will be required to reduce resource utilization, change site content or leave our servers."

10. MojoWill macrumors 6502

what they actually mean is unmetered!

However you will find that there is a limit on the amount of files you can have on the hosting say 50,000. Even if those 50,000 is only 10GB you'd have your account suspended.

Also you will find that CPU usage is limited and you start trying youtube site the server resources needed for on the fly FLV conversions would get your account suspended after a few days!

The only way to start with a project like this is:

1) don't you will never compete with YouTube
    2) You will need a dedicated server for the site AND a second dedicated server for conversions.

11. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

12. TheKnifeFight macrumors member

i'd only recommend the video site if its going to be used by your friends only

a large scale site will easily get shutdown on a shared account.

13. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

:rolleyes:

I'm never starting an OP with a provocative title again! Did you read the OP? ;)

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Live and learn. Sometimes when you go to edit the first post you can edit the title. You could also contact an admin to have them make a change to it using the little red and white triangle icon to the left of your post under your name.