Would Buying a 27" iMac Refurb Eliminate The Potential Screen Issues?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benh911f, Sep 26, 2010.

1. benh911f macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I plan on getting an iMac in the near future, and am aware of the potential screen issues. If I bought a refurbished unit, would this eliminate these potential issues, or is this not one of the issues they test before repackaging?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think since refurbs have been looked at by an actual person it may reduce your likelihood of having an issue. At the same time it is still possible to have a problem, but refurbs have the same warranty as buying new so you should be able to get any problems fixed.

3. jmck macrumors newbie

view first

Interesting idea... I would just amend it to say, reduce your likelihood of having a blindingly obvious screen flaw. Screens that fall within what Apple is calling the "acceptable" range of splotchiness will probably still get shipped. Whether your eyeballs can accept what Apple calls "acceptable" will determine whether or not you can chance it.

I personally would only buy another 27" from an Apple store directly, and hell, I'd probably open it up on-site and plug it in if they'd let me.

4. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

There is no sure way to not get a flawless screen, but i would say that the majority of iMacs that are refurbs, are repaired screens and have been tested, so i think you would be safer

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

People who bought refurbs have reported that they suffer from the same screen issue, so no, buying a refurb is not a guaranteed way to get a perfect screen.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Apple's official statement on those "potential screen issues" is that they have been fixed and that there are no screen issues anymore.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I plan on getting an iMac in the near future, and am aware of the potential screen issues. If I bought a refurbished unit, would this eliminate these potential issues, or is this not one of the issues they test before repackaging?"

The "screen issues" apparently manifest themselves in BOTH new and refurbished units.

If you want a large-screen iMac withOUT such issues, and don't mind "buying a generation or two back", you might consider one of the upper-end refurbished 24" iMacs. No, they are not "the latest and greatest", but there have been few complaints about yellowing on the 24" displays (which use flourescent backlighting instead of LED's), and the pricing is very reasonable. The 3+ghz 24" iMac represents one of the best values at Apple's refurbished store.

They are not always available, though. A good site to use to keep track of refurbs is:
    http://www.refurb.me/