Would C2D fulfill my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsr1, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. macsr1 macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2010
    I want to wait for the MBP update but then I also don't.

    My uses are simple as of now and don't see them changing much in the future. Internet, music, typing up essays for school, some movies.

    The question I have is.. if I were to buy a MBP right now, would I be fine for a couple of years? Do I need to wait for the update? ..I know about how I can get the best bang for my buck if I wait (Arrandale, etc updates to MBP) but won't the price go up on the update for the 13" low end? I don't want to spend $1,200 for the low end update if I don't truly need it if you catch my drift.

    Right now the 13" MBP on the refurbished section is going for $999 so I'm really tempted to go for it because thats a great deal IMO for something that should be able to be a beast for my uses for a while but what do I know?

    Any opinions??
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    The current Macs would be more than sufficient for your needs for at least 2 or 3 years. No need to wait for the updates.
  3. Moriarty macrumors 6502

    Feb 3, 2008
    If you don't NEED to buy now - if you CAN wait for another month or two, (or even a week - who knows when the update is coming? But it won't be long now in any case!) you had might as well do it. You'll get a significantly faster computer for your money, so therefore it will last you even longer.

    Alternatively, once the updates come out, the refurbs on the old models will probably drop in price, so you'll be able to get an even cheaper MBP refurb (or you could shop around and get a brand new one of the old models on clearance from a computer store).
  4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603


    Mar 22, 2010
    When do you need one for school? i'm going to college in the fall and I have decided to wait for Arrandale. Yes, the current model would suit your needs (and probably mine as well) but there are many things to consider when making a purchase like this.

    The price for the base 13" c2d will drop after the Arrandale mbp comes out. I would spend the extra money though and buy the base 13" arrandale mbp because of the resale value. Your not going to get anything for your c2d mbp when you want to sell it in 2-4 years. There is also a chance for usb 3.0 and a better resolution display with the update.
  5. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    If you are a student, I would wait till May because Back To School promo starts then so you get free iPod Touch which you can sell for +150$.

    Current MBPs are more than fine for you anyway
  6. thehost250 macrumors newbie

    Oct 21, 2009
    Should be fine

    For what his needs are he will be fine if he purchases right now. I will agree if it's something you don't need right now to wait but you won't have any regrets is you do buy now. I have a 17" 2009 MBP and I use Final Cut and Logic super intensively with no problems at all. For your needs you will be more than fine for years to come as there is no guarantee about Arrandale or anything else with Apple. What they use next is anybody's guess and we'll all have to just wait and see.
  7. macsr1 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2010
    Do you think the prices will be the same for the update or will the low end be something like $1,499?
  8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    If you are not married to the idea of a Pro then consider the 13" MP if you have a MicroCenter near you. http://www.microcenter.com/

    They have been running a sale for only $799 ($200 instant rebate). The MP is the same screen, processor, RAm and battery as the Pro. The differences are the MP has a 50% larger hard drive (250 instead of 160) and does not have firewire, backlit keys or aluminum case. for about a $100 you can add 4Gb of RAM and have a great setup. Plus, the deal is so great you could likely sell it for what you paid in six months.

    I may pick one up myself next week
  9. macsr1 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2010
  10. ifredrick macrumors newbie

    Oct 22, 2007
    traditionally the price hasnt jumped with updates, and with the Nvidia 9400 being several years old, its going to have to be a sweeping update. Its all about what you see yourself doing with your new notebook. If there is any chance of heavy use, ranging from games and photo work to video editing and number crunching, then wait. If you browse the web and watch a movie or two, then buy now, and buy cheap. There are referb Macs floating out on the web from reputable dealers with C2Ds a few years old at the most, more than enough for basic use for 500 dollars or so. Good luck OP!
  11. vectus macrumors member

    Apr 4, 2010
    I can watch videos, surf the web, write essays, etc. just fine on a pentium 4 with 512mb of ram using integrated graphics. The current line up would be just fine for what you need it for. The only issue I would have is trying to justify that sort of price for 2 year old hardware.
  12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2009
    I doubt the price will go up.

    And every year when the iPod promo comes out ebay and CL are flooded with those iPods.
  13. Arrandale macrumors regular

    Feb 24, 2010
    short answer: yes

    long answer: ... yes, but the refurb c2d macs will get even cheaper after the refresh.... it's a win win situation both ways

Share This Page