Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
So far all i've been using is FCPX. I'll probably be purchasing Motion 5 soon since i'm already feeling restricted without it, but Compressor is where my question comes into play.

I've tried exporting in FCPX a number of different ways, but no matter how I do it the video on youtube ends up blurry in fullscreen. It's my understanding that high bitrates before you upload to youtube help with this. Would compressor be the way to go about getting higher bitrates, or is there anyway to do it in FCPX to stop the blurriness. Also what bitrates should I be shooting for, does anybody have a number or guess? Just FYI, I'll prolly be sticking to 720p for now until I upgrade my computer soon.

heyimandy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Toronto, ON
I haven't dived into FCP X, although I've used Compressor along side with FCP7 for sometime. Whether it's getting a project ready for broadcast or online purposes.

Actually Compressor has a preset for YouTube HD which does an amazing job. As well if you have Adobe Media Encoder they also have awesome YouTube and Vimeo presets. Give it try or better yet get the trial of CS6 then you will have Media Encoder and you can give it a whirl. There must just be some setting your not doing right.

What's the settings your selecting when exporting? Maybe a screenshot...

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Adobe media encoder works great for me. My typical youtube upload is about 5 minutes, straight from my camera unedited in hd. It comes out to like a 1.3 gb file.

After encoding to a "YouTube Widescreen HD" preset it comes out to a 235 mb file and is still good.

I am still trying to learn final cut pro x. So much different from FCP7

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
I've tried exporting straight to YouTube (720p, multi pass and single pass, these are my only options)

Tried exporting to my desktop at Apple ProRes 422, Proxy, and H.264 (again my only options)

When I export straight to YouTube the file usually ends up being under 500mb (same as H.264) but the 422 and Proxy files are 1gb and 3gb...much bigger then I would think it would need to be.

Prolly should mention I only record gaming clips right now at ProRes 422 at 720p because that seems to be what my base model 13 inch can handle for now. Could it be that I don't start with a high enough quality recording? Should I invest in a MBPr? (I was gonna either get that or keep this laptop and snag a iMac 27 in a few months)

Also is compressor really a pain to use? Keep reading horror stories on the app store about how it constantly shuts down and needs to force quit, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.