Would Covering iPhone 3G in Saran Wrap Work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by maddan, Aug 6, 2008.

1. maddan macrumors regular

If I covered the back with saran wrap before placing it in a silicone case (Griffin FlexGrip), would it protect it from scratches?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I would say so.... As long as the wrap stayed in place, I think you should be good.

Kind of the opposite to your signature don't you think?!

LOL :D

3. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

Haha :D I am just waiting for my Vaja to arrive, and I have no idea where to put my phone in the meantime. I ordered the FlexGrip as a substitute until the Vaja came, but then I started reading about how silicone cases scratch the iPhone because they attract more dust, and I guess the only way to prevent it is to put saran wrap around the phone :p... I hope it works. Thanks!

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I would use scotch or painters tape, it would stay a lot better and look much neater. Just cut the strips to fit the back of the phone and remove it when you are ready, it will not leave any adhesive.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Also a good idea.

Plus, you iPhone would be blue!

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I put regular scotch tape, but it left residue after 1 day (checked to see) so then I switched to Seran Wrap. It seems to be working fine so far, I also have a crappy silicone case that I have it in and so far the seran wrap is holding up. In some places it got ripped, near the dock connecter mainly after I forcefully shoved it in. I put scotch tape over the seran wrap in those areas to reinforce it, and it's working great! Ugly as sin, though...

7. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

lol, if cyran wrap is all you got, might as well use it, its better than nothing :)

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

scotch tape DEFINITELY will not leave a residue, so if the saran wrap starts to slip, you can try the painters tape.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah I used scotch tape on my Ipod touch before my case arrived and it left no residue. Unless it is some intense or very generic scotch tape.

Regardless, painters tape will work perfectly as well.

Cyran wrap just seems odd.....

10. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I think you are all quite right. I'm just going to use painter's tape, as it clearly seems a more formidable option than saran wrap.

11. Zephgx macrumors member

I used saran wrap and it does work. Problem is getting it on since the wrap make lines and u get a bumpy touch screen. It protects it from minor scratches and doesn't leave residue at all.

12. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

I am just going to cover the back if I decide to do it, not the screen, as it already has a protector on it. What do you mean by, "the wrap make lines"?

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'm sure the phone has plenty of guards against ESD (electrostatic discharge), but that doesn't mean I'd go covering it in a wrap that uses static electricity as its method of adhering to objects...

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmf. But don't those PowerSupport screen protectors use a static cling to stick?

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sure, but how much of the device do they cover compared to just saran wrap (ie not much, especially the ports). The ports are what I would worry about the most. Still, any static discharge is a risk for electronics, Apple has just mitigated the risk with good design (ie ways to ground the charge before it gets to components). Why take the chance if you don't have to?