Would creating new iPhone colors be a bad move?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PerplexShyt, Oct 21, 2011.

1. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

White and black, white and black. That's what the iphone has been about since iphone2g.

But would it be a bad move to create as many color iphones as the Nano has? (red green blue yellow etc etc?)

Do you think Steve wanted the iphones to either be black or white for "classy" reasons so it wouldn't "cheapen" the product in some sort of down-the-line vision he had for the iPhone?

Or maybe its because it would prove to be too much of a hassle and a liability in terms of logistics and inventory on launch days?

Could you imagine, everyone coming to the boards, "My store only had the yellow and green ones left!!!!! :mad: I wanted red!"

Thoughts?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'd love a red one so I wouldn't think it a bad idea.

3. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'd like the option for a yellow one :) but it would be an inventory nightmare. Maybe make all colors but black & white special-order only through Apple.com? But I suppose that would piss off resellers, taking away business from them.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This. I think having too many options on a device that's in such high demand would only make things more complicated. There's already people getting a color they don't really want because it's all that was available at the time. Imagine if you really wanted a 16GB iPhone, but the only color available was purple, and you hated purple. You'd be all mad and wishing they had just made more in normal, boring colors (i.e. black and white). It would be a huge mess. It's easier to do with Nanos, because they're not in high demand.

Besides, I just put a case on mine if I want it to be a different color. And I can change it as often as I want. Works for me.

6. Brazzy macrumors regular

there are plenty of colorful iphone cases to choose from.

7. everlong44 macrumors newbie

I think they won't for the exact reason you mentioned... It would suck if you go to the store and they only have magenta and purple iphones left... Plus, a lot of people put cases on their phone anyway, so they can choose what color it is basically. You don't usually put cases on ipod nanos and shuffles, hence the color selection. My opinion.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That is absolutely not the same thing. Not everyone is keen on using a case either.

<- NAKED! :D

9. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It wouldn't look good with the glass. Maybe if the surface was aluminium like the iPods... well... not good either....

10. silversun macrumors newbie

silversun

I would like a transparent Iphone :D, one that you could see the inside :D

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Apple went through the color phase.. it's over, thank god.

It would cheapen the look of the iPhone.

12. salacious macrumors 6502a

i want a yellow or purple iphone, i wouldnt even mind iridescent style... need for speed style customisation get your own brand on your iphone... now theres an idea...charge an extra hundered dollars to do so and people would surely buy into it