Would Disk Utility fix a fried HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceboots06, Jun 11, 2012.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago my HD fried. I was using my uMBP 13" ~3 years old (one of the first released) and closed the lid to put it in sleep mode. Minutes later, I decided I needed to use it again, and opened the lid. The fan was running full-blast which I felt was odd and there was nothing displayed on the screen, so decided to turn it off. When I turned it on there was the gray screen with the infinitely spinning cog. Also, the HD was making a bizarre clicky/scratchy/beepy noise.

I didn't and still don't have the OG discs that came with my Mac. I read that Disk Utility may be able to fix whatever the problem is. The discs are far away. I managed to use DiskWarrior which SURPRISINGLY was able to recover EVERYTHING.

Is there a difference between the original disks that came with my Mac and DiskWarrior? Reading around I was put under the impression that DiskWarrior is for recovering, and Disk Utility is for fixing. Is this correct? DiskWarrior managed to make the clicky/scratchy/beepy noise stop, but there's still the infinite cog.

Should I just get a new HD? A new Macbook Pro? I think it's time for an upgrade anyway.

Thank you!

2. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

3. d00d macrumors regular

Diskwarrior is a better version of what Disk Utility can do.

If your hard drive is making funny noises (hardware problem), backup and replace ASAP.