Would entry level MBP be usable for app dev?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 1458279, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 1458279 Suspended

I'm looking at getting a setup for iPhone dev. I'm looking at the entry level MBP on sale for $999 and the entry level iPod Touch @ $229 (might need more ram?)

I currenty have a 3 year old laptop (duo core amd/2G Vista) and it works fine.

I think the iMac is better bang/buck but I the resale value of the MBP seems higher.

I can wait a few months for this combo, but I don't see much value in waiting for the student deal. $100 off MBP and free iPod touch. That's only a $129 difference from the onsale deal.

Also, can these be upgraded by the user? SSD, Ram etc...
    Thanks, KarlJay.

2. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Any Laptop

To be quite honest, any laptop that apple sells will be good for you. Make sure you get 4GB of Ram.

All coding is text base, text doesn't lag a processor or memory.

-Bruce

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

4. Codina macrumors newbie

I'm an app/web developer and I have an entry level macbook pro 13". It works great! You have to think of the RAM however as that is the only thing that is really heavy for a developer. The default 4GB does the trick more than enough.

Wait a short, there's a macbook pro update coming in... And even though the normal macbook works, I strongly suggest the alu as it's more sturdy (speaking from plastic experience... :()

EDIT: Why don't you buy it from apple directly?

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Any Mac from the last 2 years will be fine for your use (For instance I do XCode and Mac/iOS app development on my White MacBook from 2008 and its perfect for it).

6. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I'm on a slim budget and saving a few $$ would help. The other concern is the learning curve. I don't want to buy and learn for 6 months, then actually get to the point where I need it.
    Example: if I'm going to be reading for 6 months, why not delay the purchase until then.
    I'm actually going to look into the hacntosh as a starter system, then buy a MBP when I actually need to.

The Hacntosh is actually looking like the best interm step.

7. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

why on earth would you be reading for 6 months? :confused:

8. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

LOL! I've learned about 8 languages (computer) so far and I usually dig in and figure out the dos/don'ts, what does what withing the SDK's and then start running tests to see how to do what...

Some take a shorter time, one was only 1 month learning, but I'm just guessing.