Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I've just joined the seemingly growing ranks of people with failed 8800 GS graphics cards (which were installed as an option upgrade on 2008 iMacs). Some of the people on these boards report repeated failings after the initial replacements, some as soon as a few weeks later.

Stupidly, I guess, I didn't think to ask at the Apple store about whether the replacement would be under a warrantee because I assumed the failure was a fluke and not something I'd face again any time soon -- I didn't know that the nvida cards themselves seem to have higher than average failure rates or may not be inherently suited, heat-wise, for the tight confinement of iMacs.

I would assume there must be a 90 day warrantee on replacements but given the real potential unreliability of this model I wanted to field advice on whether I could push at least for a longer warrantee at this stage. What might my options be with Apple based on your experience and knowledge of Apple in these situations? I don't want to be forced into having to repeatedly fork out money for replacing a bum card that has displayed a conspicuously high failure rate.

Thanks.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple does periodically extend the warranty period on certain known problematic parts. Best thing would be to call AppleCare and ask if your machine is covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.