Would finder ever become finder/mail/itunes/.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cloud9, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

With the way the gui's for finder and mail and itunes are coming closer together is it possible that they will all be incorported into the finder? Eventually You open finder and select your music folder, finder now becomes itunes. You open a new finder window and select your mail box, and finder becomes the mail program. All this would happen with seemless visual transition though. You enter a web address in finder and now its safari...

I know explorer tried to do this, but I think osx could pull it off in a good way.

What think you....

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I doubt it and I hope they don't. Consistent interface does not mean combined programs at all.

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer were integrated only during WinXP, IIRC. And even then, it was only when a URL was typed into Explorer. Beyond that, Explorer and IE were separate programs. That said, I don't think Finder will ever become an all-in-one application. When you try to make a program that includes everything but the kitchen sink, it tends to not do anything all that well.

4. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

windows 95 with IE4.0 + Active Desktop
    windows 98
    windows ME
    windows 2000
    windows XP

all had more or less integrated Internet Explorer/Windows Explorers when it comes to the "type URL directly in Windows Explorer"

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It would actually be nice as an option. However there can only be one itunes window so if you have multiple "finder" windows they would all have to show the same thing, such as the same song selected and playing (this is possible).

It would be very easy to quickly check your e-mail. However having separate applications make it easier for new people to figure out how to do things. Plus having too much functionality built in increases bloating. I don't always want Mail running nor iTunes.