Would gaming work better in XP or Windows 7 (for macbook pro)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yalag, Sep 6, 2010.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Would gaming work better in XP or Windows 7 (for macbook pro)? I just bought the newsest macbook pro 13'' and I like playing starcraft 2 the game in windows. Should I be using windows XP or Windows 7 for maximum performance?

2. sup3r1or macrumors regular

If I had to choose between XP and Visa, then XP for sure. But since using windows 7 it wins hands down. First of all its newer, has DirectX 11 (if your card supports it you will notice the difference). Windows 7 might look like it consumes a lot of resources but Im sure after using it it is the best windows microsoft ever produced so far. I saw no need going back to XP, which is no longer properly supported by microsoft.

Go for Windows 7 and dont worry. (You can always configure the interface in windows for a simple view which gives higher performance)

3. fcpeditor113 macrumors newbie

fcpeditor113

Windows 7 is better then XP now. I installed it using Boot Camp for gaming on my i7 MacBook Pro and it works great.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you have some old Windows 98 games that you love replaying, then I would suggest Windows XP 32-bit, as it has better compatibility with older games.

Other than that, go with Windows 7. It's better, the new Explorer and Start Menu Search look and work similiar to OS X's Finder and Spotlight and it's more secure than XP (which is coming up on its nineth year). I've never used Windows XP on a Mac but I use Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro and it works beautifully. I'm going to stick to Apple laptops to run Windows on from now on.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Watch out, a LOT of games will not work correctly with Win7, that's why I went backwards. And to tell the truth the ones that did work were a LOT faster under XP.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Moving forward, windows 7, using older games - windows xp.

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Windows 7 if you plan on playing recent games.

Windows XP if you plan on playing legacy games.