Would Haswell and new cooling be enough?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joeysarks, Jul 29, 2012.

1. joeysarks macrumors regular

Would Haswell and the new cooling design of the MBPr keep the system cool enough to stream in HD with a laptop? Or would the current system maybe even do a good job? (although I heard Ivy runs kinda hot)

Reason i'm asking is that I would like to get a MBPr for video editing, but I also would like to live stream my xbox gameplay to accompany my YouTube channel. I know streaming HD video can be hard on a laptop, but I also didn't wanna buy a base model iMac just for streaming alone.

Kinda confused on what I should do, cuz I'd like to stream/edit, but I could use some mobility as well. I want USB 3.0 for editing, so i'd snag the MBPr. The current iMac doesn't have USB 3.0 so that'd be another reason that would be dedicated to streaming only...and maybe movies till they look better on Retina display. If the new Haswell chips are as good as they sound though, might have to adjust my setup next year anyways:/ Anyone have an ideas for me i'm in a weird purchasing spot.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can already do this with the current RMBP. If your RMBP is shutting off due to overheating you have a defective unit and should return it.

3. joeysarks thread starter macrumors regular

I've been told repeatedly not to livestream gameplay with a laptop though because of the heat, whether that's because of shutting down from heat or wearing out the laptops life extremely fast.

I will say that 640x360 which my dual core can handle isn't too bad, but when I even attempt any HD (which it can't handle anyways) my Macbook Pro 13 inch feels and sounds like it's gonna explode. Just wondered how the MBPr could handle live streaming in HD compared to other laptops.

I did watch a test on youtube where an export from FCPX was about 30-40C degrees higher on the old generation over the Retina...but streaming for hours on end isn't a 60 second FCPX export.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well whoever told you that apparently doesn't know much about computers or electronics.

If it doesn't shut down (or explode) there's no issue. Fans spin up all the time.
    Great. Still not sure what the problem is.