Would have liked more storage...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, Mar 3, 2011.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

I think 16gb at this day and age is a joke, heck even 32gb is if you think about it...

I think we ll see some storage bumps by the end of the year or so, even sooner, I don't believe with apple's economies of scale that 32 gb over 16 gbs would make much of a price diff.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive filled my 16gb to the top with music, but i think its enough for me for the time being - and i use uncompressed audio.

its completely personal preference though, it sucks that apple didnt offer a 128GB option (hardware limitation?)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As a mobile device, it gives you the option to make choices of what you would like to carry with you

If you need to carry your entire music collection, movie collection, and more, then you may need a laptop instead of an iPad

Sure, I would use it if it was there, but I feel zero limitations on my 64GB as to what I can carry

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

What do you folks do that requires so much? I have 32GB and still have 10 free.

It's loaded up with games, photos and office apps.

I keep my music on my music device cause it's silly to lug around a 10 inch mp3 player.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^
    Movies take up a lot of space, but how many do you need to have on your iPad?
    Not many movies I want to see more than once, and once is too many for most

6. 2 Owls macrumors regular

They have a special one for people like you its the 64GB version.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, I'm happy with 16. When I purchased an iPhone 3Gs back in the day. I opted for 32gig. After using it for a while it was quite evident that I'd never use the "extra" 16gig. It was a waste of money buying that model.

When I bought the 16GB iPad I was a bit concerned that 16gb might be too little as I add books PDFs and movies but so far that's not been the case. I've only used half of the storage and I have movies, music, books, pictures and some large PDFs.

For some they can justify the higher storage needs but for me, and quite possibly for most consumers the 16gb model is quite adequate.

8. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Surely you are joking? A device with books, pdfs, apps, photos, recordings, music, videos etc. etc. and 64gb has zero limitations for you? lol, that's a tough sell buddy. The ipods don't do half of what the ipad does in terms of photo and video viewing, and apps, and reading, and yet they have double the capacity on the top end model...

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Books and pdfs take up very minimal space

As I said, the ability to carry your entire audio and video library is a choice to make... how much to carry? Do I really need every movie and album I own?

An iPod is a more specialized device for carrying such a library of music (and some video)

But the iPad is much more
    I don't use it as an iPod substitute or even a laptop substitute
    I use it as a supplement, carrying what I need, and it has plenty of space for that now... especially with the DropBox app to house my work docs

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I agree with your reasoning, I have to say that I was surprised Apple didn't increase the storage.

11. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's correct, but you gotta to admit that saying with 64gb you have no limitation is a hyperbole. At 128 we shall start talking about a pretty decent size.

And let me tell you something else, as reading device, much better suited than a mac, the ipad first of all requires a lot of storage for books, and pdfs aren't that light in size. If I add say about 50-60 reference books/pdfs/etc. for my work I am at about a couple of gbs at the very least. Videos kill space too, if you have, which I am sure everyone would like to have 3-4 movies and tv series say, that's at least 10gbs. Then you have audiobooks and music and podcasts, and photos, and apps...

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I was bummed at first too. I was really hoping that 32GB would be the new base model, as I typically like to have my entire music collection with me on the go (~25GB). However, I was delighted to hear that they've brought Home Sharing into iOS 4.3. I expect that most of my usage of the iPad will occur in the home, so I can just stream my library over wireless. I guess I'll just load a few albums for when I'm travelling. Hardly an optimal solution, but not a bad workaround. I'll just get the base model.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The limitation is I can't carry everything I own
    But there is nothing I need that I can't carry

Yes, if a larger one were offered, I would buy it
    But honestly... my MBP has a 500 GB that I only use about 130 of anyway
    We all have different needs

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Here we go again with apple haters. Xoom only has 32GB storage. Apple offers 64GB storage. I never hear people complain about Xoom storage, but complaining about iPad storage?

It's obvious apple did not increase the storage because 128GB storage is too expensive.

Everything went up with gas prices including labor, parts, and costs. You see the gas prices reaching 5 dollars per gallon?

Apple maintained the price at 499 dollars with updated specs. Xoom? 799 dollars.

Don't like it. Don't buy it. 64GB storage is wonderful.

15. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

to be fair this not a bad workaround at all, I agree, home sharing has always been a must for ipad, they are doing it, kudos, now I hope it works (or there's some work around for it to do so) with a nas or time capsule too, that would be great, to not have to have the mac open, but I guess we ll wait for that.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Against 16GB Arguments
    - No alternative storage options
    - 16GB nowadays IS a joke on a device meant to be a powerful machine
    - 16GB probably exists purely for marketing reasons (Starting at $499)
    - Apps are getting bigger
    - iPad 2 emphasizes media creation so 16GB will be filled quick
    - "16GB" is deceptive because it's actually "12.8GB" usable

Pro 16GB Arguments
    - $499 pricepoint is easier to justify
    - AirPlay update now allows you to keep your media OFF your iPad
    - The cloud blah blah blah the cloud
    - Average users tend to have smaller libraries

You can live off of 16GB but its really not ideal for more savvy people who would visit sites like this. Personally, I was hoping the $499 pricetag would remain but everything shifted upward so it would be 32GB, 64GB, 128GB. But Apple knows how to milk customers so they cheaped out knowing that they have a huge amount of loyal fans that will do their best to defend their decisions. Lucky them, unlucky us.

17. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Look, Apple is saving on the cost of flash memory by not upping the base line iPad from 16GB but I also think they are thinking to iOS 5 and free cloud based computing they are about to offer. Apple likely plans to release a cloud system that keeps your iTunes music and movies in the cloud and stream it for free to your iOS device, requiring no memory to store it on your device. Sure you will have to keep a few songs or a movie on your device for when you don't have connectivity but cloud based storage will reduce the need to have a high storage capacity on your device.

18. blipmusic macrumors regular

So I should rid my MBP of all music as well? It's not always for the road.

While I realize that the iPad isn't exactly pocketable as such, I want as much "computer" and flexibility/independence out of it as I can possibly get.

I currently don't have an iPad but usually carry a bag where ever I go, so the hypothetical iPad would always go with me anyway. Whether I connect it to a friends stereo, at home or while using it on the move it's just too practical not to have my music collection on there as well (relatively small at 35GB though, so YMMW of course).

But hey, I got by with a 3GS as my only *computer* for a month when my MBP got the nVidia-syndrome (had to wait before I could hand it in for repair), so I'm biased and want to be prepared. :D

19. Salacion macrumors 6502a

As a standalone device, 64GB should be the low-tier storage standard. But the iPad isn't a standalone device; it can't entirely replace a laptop/netbook. Once it has a port to connect to hard drives, optical drives, etc., as well as the elimination of an iTunes start-up, this device will need more storage.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm confused about the OP. Does he know there is a 64GB iPad? I mean it's there if you need it. I see the 16GB and 32GB models cited. This isn't me yapping about the 32GB iPhone not being enough. I'm one of those people who probably would've dished out $400 for a 64GB iPhone.

If you want to know why the base is still 16GB, you've got people like my dad. He bought one and probably doesn't use 5GB. I think he mostly uses Safari and a solitaire game I downloaded for him. Most the other people I know with iPads are in his age range and not mine, so I'm thinking Apple had some good market research saying a lot of people didn't need more than 16GB.

Me? I'm getting 32GB. I doubt I'll need that much, but I figure I would probably need 17GB consistently if I bought a 16GB iPad. I know I'll load up a lot more apps than my dad did on his, and the iPad apps also take up more space.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

for the ipad it kind of does feel that way, because you customise what songs/movies/etc you take on each trip - these trips are relatively short (business, vacations etc) so the 64gB space is roughly enough.

this is the reason why i have a program called AirVideo and AirVideo server. the ipad/iphone will connect to a mac running AirVideo server - and the mac will convert the movie on the fly to an iOS compatible format - i have it port forwarded on my home router effectively meaning i can watch any movie at any place in the world where i have an internet connection.

:)

22. yegon macrumors 68020

Nope.

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    my ONLY complaint about the iPad 2 is the failure to increase the storage. retina, sd slot, usb, nfc, 4g, etc was all unimportant to me. Either it's needless or too expensive or not ready for primetime.

the $500 price point is the perfect target for me and I have always planned on getting the entry level iPad. But I was also hoping for all the storage to bump up a notch. now my 32gb iPhone 4 will have more storage than my iPad 2... it almost makes me wanna go ahead and get the $600, but I'm only going to do that if they are out of 16gb when I stand first in line on 11 March :)