Would I be able to?...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSimpsons, Apr 25, 2012.

1. iSimpsons macrumors regular

Would I be able to buy a MacBook Pro in the US, and use the warranty in the UK? As I am thinking of buying a MBP when I go to the US, but I was just wondering if the warranty is still valid if the product decides to play up.

The reason I was thinking of buying it in the US is because its much cheaper. the base model MBP is £999 here in the UK. It costs $1199 for the base model in the US which equals £750 so it would help me out a lot financially if I did buy it in the US.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple warranty and AppleCare are valid anywhere in the world, regardless of where you bought your Mac. Read the warranty for details, as service options may vary by country.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

3. kingy04 macrumors newbie

yes but dont get applecare + (the accidental damage cover) as they dont offer that to uk customers so just get the normal applecare

also you can buy the apple care in the uk for the product within 3 months of the purchase date..

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare+ is not available for Mac products, only for iPhones and iPads.
    Within one year, not 3 months:
    AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro - Apple Store (UK)

5. kingy04 macrumors newbie

thank you for correcting me, very informative :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple's computer AppleCare is valid anywhere in the world. For some devices like iPhones, it's up to the store manager to decide whether or not to replace an in-warranty product.

7. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

U.S.-obtained AppleCare is global. AppleCare purchased outside the U.S. is subject to the laws of the country of origin and may not be global.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare is global, no matter where purchased. The terms regarding obtaining service under the AppleCare agreement vary by country, but the warranty is global, regardless of the country of purchase.

9. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I'm simply telling you what Apple corporate tells its customers: if you purchase an AppleCare agreement in the United States, your device will be repaired no matter where you are, if you have a problem with the device. If you purchase AppleCare in another country, you may face restrictions on whether or not your device can be repaired locally, even if there is an Apple authorized serviced center nearby, or if it must be sent to a service center, possibly on another continent.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't go by what an individual Apple employee says, as they are frequently wrong. You can only go by what Apple's officially stated policy is. This is a legal agreement, so verbal statements are not valid. Only what Apple states in writing is binding.
    Please post a link where Apple states that AppleCare may not be honored in another country where Apple has service centers.

11. fisha macrumors regular

Bear in mind that you'll be leaving the shop with a US keyboard layout which is different.

My brother in law went the route your talking about a number of years ago. I found the keyboard annoying anytime I used it. But if its your only machine, then it wouldn't be so bad.