Would I be an exception to an expired extended warranty replacement program?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by c0bracommander, Feb 28, 2010.

1. c0bracommander macrumors member

Hi all. I lieu of my original thread (posted in the wrong section [woops]), I'm curious to know whether it'd be out of line to take in my iMac G5 PowerPC to an Apple store to see if they would cover replacement costs. http://www.apple.com/uk/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/ is what I'm referring to.

My original post is as follows (which I posted in OS X instead of this appropriate forum):
    I am considering doing the replacement myself, but if I cause something to go haywire I'd never forgive myself. I really like that computer, but I can't trust it being on every day without me being in front of it constantly.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you can try it they can only say NO , but sorry i really doubt that apple will do any warranty repairs under the extended warranty scheme which expired in 2008?
    unlucky for the thousands of owners of imacs and emacs produced between 2003 and 2004 , as they nearly all had bad caps and apple did not publish that repair scheme really
    you needed to read forums back then or some computer magazines to find that out , and there are still lots out there who dont even know about that there was a extended warranty and that their i/e mac could fail anytime

but these bad caps in actually all the parts you mentioned cost about max $40 depending on source there are lists on the web which ones you need , and as far as i hear apple will charge $200 to replace them some tv repair shops around your corner may do the same if you bring the board in for $50 , then you know its done by profs , and the imac will do its job for the next 10 years or longer without probs (failing harddrives excluded in that theory)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would most certainly go ask them. Like the above poster said, the worst they could do is say no.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I would ask. Apple have been known to be generous with their coverage, especially if it is a known and acknowledged issue.

If they say no, perhaps ask if they can do a discounted repair or similar?