Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac|Photo

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2004
MI
Taken into consideration...

I've read that this is a transition and development period for the portable line of Apple and I have taken that into account with whatever product I decide to order. I know (at least have read everywhere) that the moment I buy there will be a newer, faster, less expensive model coming out hours later, but I will have to accept that.
For my first purchase I think I personally would be more comfortable purchasing a new *book with a warranty instead of saving money on a refurbished or used (from this forum or elsewhere) *book. Perhaps this isn't the most sound philosophy, however I think it will aid my slumber at night knowing its new and mine.
That said, does Apple usually do holiday promos at all or are they not keen on this? I know nearly all pc makers usually ramp up the promos at/around Thanksgiving for the holiday rush that they are attempting to generate.
Any input is of course always appreciated ;)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
If you can wait until Jan for MWSF, I would do it. For any one of the following three reasons:

• If there is a major announcement at MWSF (not bloody likely IMHO), you'll benefit from it.
• If there is a minor speed bump w/ other minor enhancements (more likely) you will benefit, or at the least you can choose to get the same model you'd buy today for $100 less.
• If there is no rev change, you can still rest assured that you'll have the latest version until at least August or September (WWDC annnouncement + 2-3 months to ship). Also, Apple has to do something to make the PowerBook line seem worthwhile now that the iBook has cloed the GHz gap. Even if they don't offer a new rev, they ought to lower the price.

OR: get an iBook now. They just got updated, so you're safe for a while.

OR: get a refurb PowerBook now, and save a few bucks.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
go for the powerbook. if there is a revision soon, which there wont be till 05 then you can always sell your PB. just keep it in good condition and dont run over it with a tank! re-sale value of macs is much much higher than that of wintel computers. but you will likely keep the PB for a long time b/c it is soo good.

WebMongol

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Mac|Photo said:
That said, does Apple usually do holiday promos at all or are they not keen on this? I know nearly all pc makers usually ramp up the promos at/around Thanksgiving for the holiday rush that they are attempting to generate.
Any input is of course always appreciated ;)

As usually, if you can wait another two month you may get better computer for you money.
Amazon.com offers $150 main-in-rebate on Powerbooks and iBooks tiil November 21, 2004. In addition, shipping is free and you do not pay sales tax, and they have generous return policy. When buying at Amazon make sure that you pick notebook directly from the Amazon not other vendor (for example, Office Depot).

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I third that motion, to get an iBook. Then sell it on here, and buy your powerbook. An iBook would be more feasible if you are going to get a powerbook in a few months anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.