Would I be happier with a new scanner?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chewbaccacabra, Apr 10, 2008.

1. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

At the time I bought my iMac I also ordered an HP All in one. I never could get the scanner portion to work wirelessly on the network or bluetooth and that made me :mad: but I was pretty happy with the limited printing I do. I didn't have anywhere else to put it either so ended up not caring if it was connected with the USB 2.0.

Now I have started scanning in all my grandparents' photos from years and years ago. And will start my maternal grandmother's when I finish these sometime in 2020. :eek:

Would an Epson scanner be any faster or generally better? I have been happy with the color correction from the HP on yellowing 1970s photos. It just seems to be a really slow process. I am scanning in at 1200 dpi which I know is overkill. But I have gotten some great scans of little 2x2 B/W Brownie photos enlarging detail I had never seen before. I also want to be able to put these on a larger LCD TV someday to show my mother.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

:apple:

2. darthmullet macrumors member

I think color correction can be done well with most any scanner via software (i like aperture; iphoto can be useful too, photoshop takes too much time for large numbers of photos).

I've recently used a canon all in one, hp all in one, and and epson stand alone. All three were more than adequate for the work I was doing (old pictures mostly), the epson (a pro-sumer model I think) had the best quality I guess. I think you can look up scan speed stats at specific resolution by checking on macworld or other review sites.

One thing I like about a dedicated epson is the transparency module. It lets you scan developed negative film (35mm, etc) or color/BW slides. I've done thousands on the epson, 4 slides at a time.

I think you really just need to get out a good movie (or two) when you sit down to do some scanning: there isn't really a quick way.

3. chewbaccacabra thread starter macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

Cool thanks for the reply. I was looking last night and I think that I am probably maxed at the quality I'm going to get from these prints anyway. Many of the pics are printed on some weird vinyl paper from FOX photo. I think most of the negs are long gone as well. Probably just stick with the HP All in One and be happy with it. :cool: