Would I be justified in buying a Touch now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fusion Jones, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Fusion Jones macrumors newbie

I'm at a crossroads...
    I know the new Touch is right around the corner, but I don't know what to do.
    If I don't care about a camera or GPS, am I justified in buying a refurb Touch from Apple right now, or would that be dumb?

And one other question... has anyone else bought a Refurb from Apple? Are they in Mint condition? Any scratches?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I never could justify the money I spent on my Touch, but from what I have heard the refurb products both mac/ipod are nothing short of flawless and include the same warranty & ability to upgrade applecare like a new product.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

5. Fusion Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Why couldn't you justify the money spent?
    Do you think $300 for a refurb 16GB is worth it?

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Yeah, considering I spent $400 on my brand new one the day they were released. I just can't justify it because I actually don't need it. An iPod classic would suit me just fine, I just wanted the cooler (in my opinion) one. :eek:

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Justify is the key word. If you are living on food stamps, in a trailer you rent, with 8 kids, then an mp3 player of any type would be hard to justify. If your allowance is $300 a week, then it's easy to justify. If you'll have to put it on a credit card that already is close to being maxed out with debt you can't repay TODAY, then don't do it.

8. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

If you have the money and want one now I'd get one now. I've been tempted to get another one with the refurb prices as they are.

If you don't have the cash I'd wait and see what comes out this fall.

Eric

9. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

If you want it, need it and won't be bothered if a new version comes out with a new feature or two for the same price or possibly lower than what you paid, definitely go for it.

10. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Alright, the refurb prices on them are great right now. Sure, a brand new one MAY come out in a month, but what could it add that makes it worth the added price (as it won't be on refurb prices for a while)?

If you think it's worth waiting for, wait. If you really want it now, go for it.

You take a risk if you do it now.

If you wait, all you risk having to live a whole month longer without it. :rolleyes:

Just man up and make a decision! :D haha..

11. drb6 macrumors regular

The buyer's guide says to wait as updates are almost surely coming in the fall. Even if the features aren't that enticing, there may be a price cut. Its only about a month or two away. Plus when the new version gets released, you'll still have the option of getting the old one for a good deal right around the beginning.

But if you can't survive for a that long cuz you're ipod-less, you better go ahead.

12. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I don't totally agree with that, no offense. If you just HAVE to have music, and cannot wait until the updates, grab a shuffle or a used Nano or something.. just something cheap to last you until then, you know? You'll surely kick yourself if you get a Touch now for $199+ and in a couple of months there's either a price drop, an update or both.

13. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Just got one yesterday and it is in absolutely as-new condition. With the length of time this refurb offer has been going on I'm beginning to think this is Apple's way of having a sale on new iPods without saying they are having a sale.

Considering the price in the US store is $100 off for the 8GB and 16GB and $70 off the 32GB, I doubt any new version will cost less. If you are holding out for new features, expect the price to align with the original price of the current Touch ($299/$399/$499 US). Decide if the new features you expect to be added are worth $100 and then hope those are the new features that end up getting added. If you think there won't be new features, this may be signaling that the 8GB is on the way out and the other two are being tested at sliding one price point down.