Would I be putting too much strain on my rMBP if I...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fish21, Aug 20, 2013.

1. fish21 macrumors newbie

I've been using a 15' Retina Macbook Pro since the day it was released and love it. I've been running some very CPU intensive programs for music (i.e.. Ableton Live 9, Logic Pro 10, both with various CPU heavy plugins) with no problems other than the computer getting hot during long sessions.

Anyways, a lot of the time, I use my rMBP with an external monitor (27in Samsung HD monitor) with the laptop closed for long periods of time (4-8 hours). While I'll hear the fan come on somewhat regularly and will get the occasional CPU spikes.

I'm using Logic 10 now and my workflow would REALLY benefit from the use of dual monitors and would like to purchase a second Samsung monitor.

My questions:

1. Would running the rMBP closed with 2 external monitors with a pretty CPU intensive program like Logic 10 running overload my laptop and cause any damage? I've already been doing this with one monitor - so would adding a second monitor in the mix add significant strain on the computer? I'm unfamiliar with how much strain an external monitor puts on a rMBP while closed - let alone 2 monitors.

2. Is there anything I can do to lighten the load when working like this? (ie. keep the computer elevated or anything like that).

Thanks in advance for any help regarding my questions.

Specs:

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB Memory, 250GB HD
    Mid 2012 model running the most current OS

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Keeping it elevated definitely helps. Even just slightly (less than a inch) so the vents will have better air flow would help.

Would you consider a cooling pad? People have mixed opinions on them.

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Like tgi mentioned, keep it elevated to guarantee that it will receive adequate airflow. Keeping it close shouldn't be an problem, but if you do want it closed, i suggest that you have the rear vents pointed upward on a stand.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Obviously we purchase Apple products so we don't have to be anxious about the above behavior. That said I have little lifts that raise the rMBP and use a small fan when folding as an added measure.

5. fish21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, they're much appreciated. I've got a BookArc I'm using to both clear desk space and give it adequate air flow.

With the other part of my question in mind though - does anybody see an immediate problem with me running two external monitors with the laptop closed and running a semi CPU intensive program like Apple's Logic Pro 10?

Thanks again in advance =)

6. zipur macrumors 6502

Although there have been many post stating there is no need to worry because the system will shut itself down before any damage is inflicted. I use this baby, I'm sure there are better and more expensive but this works for me. the stand lifts my rMBP to the top of my HP220h screen (eye level). It plugs into a USB port with powers the fan. In return the stand has four 2.0 USB port in the rear so you don't loose connectivity. By the way the two fans on the stand run very very quiet I don't even hear them, I have to put my hand behind them to feel the air flow.

LINK HERE
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. leman macrumors 604

No strain at all. Its just a monitor ;)

The only way to lighten the load is not to use computation-intencive applications. Just make sure the machine gets good airflow (e.g. no vents are obstructed), and you should be fine.

P.S. If you are doing intensive work and your machine is mostly stationary, consider getting a desktop instead.