Would I be Risking it??? Depreciation???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by takingtheleap, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. takingtheleap macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    #1
    yes. as my nick suggeest i would be shifting from windows.

    but as yesterdays events went i am uncertain what the future of mac pros would be. would it be a gamble if i waited for the new mac pros, or would you guys reckon i should get one right now.(few buds of mine are pulling their hair over the new mbp)

    i would primarily be using it for VERY HEAVY VIDEO and VFX work.
    since it is a work related investment for me, i want to make the most of it. therefore i would prefer waiting for new mac pros even if that means working on my present precision m90, which is not good enough to work on 2k frames.

    lastly, when new mac pros are released, what do you think would be the depreciative effect on current gen mac pros. i expect them to immediately depreciate by atleast 20%.
     
  2. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #2
    I understand the frustrations over the new MBP, but I wouldn't be concerned in regards to the Mac Pro.

    Around that number probably. Used systems go for on average around 85% of retail currently (I think) so another 20% off that would put them at just below 70% of the current retail price, or $2,000 for a stock $2,800 eight core. I also expect the new eight core Mac Pros to cost $3,000, but they should be offering a significant performance boost.
     
  3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #3
    When ever questioning when to get a computer, never think of when the next refresh will be. Think about when you need to computer. If you need it now then get it. There is a pretty good chance there will not no update for at least a little bit as the laptops just got a refresh.

    Worst case scenario, you get a new Mac Pro and a month later they release new ones, well you just had a month with the computer you would not have if you waited. Usually even after a big update the previous model is totally viable, and it can be some what risky grabbing the first rev. after a big update until you see how they are functioning.

    Totally go out and get your Mac Pro and enjoy it. Push those 8 cores to the limits with your video and when the line gets updated, get one if you really want to.

    Usually Macs only really start deprecating in resale value after a year or so when one or two other updates have been released.

    Oh, and above all, Welcome
     
  4. tribe3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2005
    Location:
    Vienna, VA - USA
    #4
    With you title I thought you were going to talk about the stock market:rolleyes:

    If you have so much heavy work to do and your actual machine is slowing you down, I would say that upgrading is a no brainer. Who cares about depreciation on a working tool? Just write it off taxes and dump it for a new one in a year or so.
     

Share This Page