Would i be wasiting my money? Upgrade from C2D to i5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maf2k8, May 18, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I just bought my mac about 5 months ago, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53, 4gb ram.

This is my first Mac ever ( and i am loving it actually ) but like anyone, I am all about speed....lol...

I pretty much....
    Surf the web
    Use Garage Band to record some guitar tracks
    Import some videos from my Sony HD camcorder to iMoive and Export them or upload to YouTube
    Run my screen res at 1024x768 stretched ( i have bad vision so i think ill stick to the standard screen if i were to upgrade because anything higher and its a bit hard to see for me )
    burns CDs DVDs
    watch movies

So pretty much just your basic user i would say....

Would upgrading to the 15" i5 be just a waste? would i notice any speed increase?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. cyclical macrumors regular

Buy yourself an SSD and save the rest of your money for 2011/Sandy Bridge.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Totally yes. An ipad is powerful enough for your needs if it wasn't for the screen size and garageband.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

Not worth it, you won't notice any major speed increase, if anything you'll notice a bit longer battery life but not enough to justify the extra cost of upgrading to it.

You'll notice more performance by getting an SSD instead.

You should wait for the next gen MBP instead, or the second next.

6. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

Do you have the money to burn? The base i5 is faster then the fastest C2D from last year. Day to day you won't see a huge improvement. The video has been much improved, so you'd see a boost in anything graphics related.

I love my i7, and if speed is THAT important to you, and you have money to waste... go for it!

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

kaf2k8 -- I agree with others who have said that replacing your nearly new MBP now simply to upgrade from a C2D to an i5 chip would be a waste of your money. Your current machine should continue to do a sterling job of handling the tasks you give it for the foreseeable future and that's the acid test.

I must disagree, however, that the iPad would be a decent full time substitute for your MBP, even without Garageband being considered. I have an iPad and love it for what it does. Nevertheless, it's Web browser is limited and inconvenient by the standards of every OS X or Windows based browser. Also it's mail client is primitive. There are many other weaknesses, too, which I will not get into here. The iPad promises to get a lot better but still has a long way to go. It is a lot of fun for casual Web surfing and for watching videos while wandering around but it should never be confused with a real computer.

8. nconnella macrumors regular

Yes it's faster, but not worth the dough in my opinion. The c2d is still a great machine.

9. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lets just say "IF" i did go for the upgrade, Since i use such a large screen res 1024x768 then i should NOT go for the High Res screen upgrade option, correct?

Once again, this is a big IF.

10. cyclical macrumors regular

Correct – the extra cost would be a waste.

11. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

Yup. No way should you upgrade to the high res screen if your going to use it at 1024x768. Very counter productive.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

1024x768 isn't a large resolution anymore, it's the smallest by now. That's beside the point, why would you want to get the high res if you don't even use the standard resolution on the current MBP?

13. larryg1do macrumors newbie

larryg1do

How about this configuration

I have a MacbookPro C2D 2.2Ghz with 2 GB ram at 667MHz that is DDR2 version - Is it worth it for me to upgrade - I currently have a 15" and thinking about going to a 17"

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

What do you do with it?

15. MikhailT macrumors 601

You need to tell us what you're doing with it and why you feel the need to upgrade to 17"?

16. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

You can't ask this question with out giving us more information... but hey, why not? lol.

17. larryg1do macrumors newbie

larryg1do

What I do with my laptop

It is my primary computer at home. I do all the typical activities (mail, browsing, itunes). I will be scanning a lot of old photos of family that were just discovered. IN addition I am a physician and use EMR software to take care of patients. Some video of the kids but noting to complicated.

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Then I would say keep it, and get yourself a nice 24" monitor. Upgrade RAM if you can, and you would see more of a difference than a new computer. I don't think it's worth spending $2300+

19. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

I would probably say no then. My G5 is fine for tasks like that, and isn't noticeably slower in most tasks then this i7. Your C2D is able to run all of the latest software, so I wouldn't recommend an upgrade.

20. MikhailT macrumors 601

None of them require the need of the faster hardware, you won't benefit at all. Since it's your primary system at home, just get an external monitor (I recommend Dell's 24" FPW2405) and upgrade to 4GB of RAM, check OCW for memory upgrade options.

21. larryg1do macrumors newbie

larryg1do

I can upgrade ram - only up to 4GB. My son has a new MacBook Pro - about 1 year old and it seems much faster - but maybe not worth the expense - thanks for the replies. I wouldn't add a 24" screen because I move around a lot in the house and do travel occasionally - I would rather put the money elsewhere than a permanent monitor.

22. larryg1do macrumors newbie

larryg1do

We do have a new imac at home but that is my wife's primary computer - I hardly ever use it because she uses it so much - so although the laptop is my primary computer it is not the households.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you were going from a dual core portable to quad core i5/i7 iMac, probably.

But for most of the general apps, you are just spending money on bragging rights going from 1 generation dual core to the next generation dual core.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp18.html

So the best bang generally is likely is every other generation, unless you got the cash to burn. Or the next generation stacks on more cores.

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's the point. You use the large screen when you do the work at home. You did say the primary system at home, you didn't mention that you actually carry the laptop around the house all the time, in this case why would you want 17" if it's heavier?

25. larryg1do macrumors newbie

larryg1do

The usefulness of the 17" is to be able to have two different application screens next to each other and see the whole page. Also the Electronic Medical Record I am using will automatically optimize for high resolution screens which I don't have. Generally I use the computer on the couch so I 24" screen doesn't work well for me.