Would I benefit by upgrading my 8gb RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bronze84, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bronze84 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Got my MBP non retina last month with 8gb ram and the i5 dual core. After a couple of convert hiccups my MBP is everything I thought it would be and more.

I find that I'm using iMovie more and more (its kinda addictive!) for projects of varying size, generally between 10 & 40 mins long and a mixture of video and photos. When doing a small project it copes fine but when doing a longer one it does tend to struggle - most probably because it being dual core. However as I'm somewhat limited to upgrading to quad core, I'm wondering whether upgrading my RAM from 8gb to 16gb would be beneficial? I've noticed on analyser that I'm using nearly all my ram sometimes only having 500mb not in use?

Thanks

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Somewhat limited? I think you mean impossible ;)

How many page outs vs page ins do you have?

3. hawon macrumors member

Yup audio and video editing and processing will benefit so much from ram upgrade.

4. blaake macrumors regular

As previously posted, it would help tremendously. And the CPU and GPU are soldered to the mother board. Unless you or a relative of yours if a professional solderer, youre stuck with the CPU and GPU your mbp came with

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Actually the CPU and the GPU are on the same die now. Intel HD 4000. There is no dedicated GPU on i5 13" MBP.

6. blaake macrumors regular

I wasn't talking about the 13. he never stated which size he had

7. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Check Activity monitor during work/rendering with iMovie. If you can see lot of (hundreds of Mbs or Gbs) page-outs you will benefit from upgrading RAM. If not SSD will be probably better choice.

Of coarse you can't go wrong with getting both 16Gb RAM and an SSD :)

8. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. I did forget to mention but yes I have the 13".

As for limited processor options I should've put 0 options lol. I will have a look at the ins and outs

I like the idea of ssd. However I would need a minimum of 750gb which would cost silly amounts no?

9. Bronze84 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I know but i5 is only 13" in 2012. All 15" have been i7 since 2011.

11. blaake macrumors regular

Processor model was not stated either

----------

For a nice reliable 500gb is around 440-460. so you can think probably around 600ish You can find cheap ones but i doubt you want to put something cheap in a $1000+ machine.

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

"Hi guys. Got my MBP non retina last month with 8gb ram and the i5 dual core. After a couple of convert hiccups my MBP is everything I thought it would be and more. "