Would I benefit from getting a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mandex, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mandex macrumors newbie

Recently I have been pondering if I should get a Mac. I thought this would be a good place to post as you are all expert on everything Apple, and I do not even have one product of theirs.

Basically I am running Ubuntu 12.10 off of this:

AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 @ 3.6 Ghz.
    MSI HD 7770 oc Edition.
    2 TB HDD

I mainly use it for:

Programming
    Web programming
    And Web design

For programming I use the terminal. For web programming I use KDE Advanced Text Editor (Kate), and a LAMP stack and for web design I use the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP.)

So any Mac that I purchase would have to have a terminal, MAMP stack and editors. I have used Sublime Text before and absolutely loved it, so could I use that on Mac OS?

However, what also further drags my attention to the Mac is as a developer the application Xcode which would allow me to code applications for iOS.

I love the look of Macs, but am confused by them in general. They would be so different to Windows and Linux.

Could me buying a Mac make my work easier? Possibly increasing the rate at which I work, or say, increase the enjoyment? Are there a lot of programs for Mac OS?

Thank you for my very simple questions.

:apple:

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I think you'd have a pretty easy time switching to Mac. They all have a terminal, and Apache is included in the client build of OS X (not sure on PHP or MySQL, but they can be added). Most of the cli text editors you may have used are included as well. GIMP runs natively, or you could jump to Photoshop or a variety of others. There are also some great GUI text editors -- Coda and TextMate are my favorites. Seems like a no-brainier to me. The GUI is different, but OS X is more similar to Linux than it is to Windows. Plus, you'll never have to waste much time fixing the OS, which is pretty likely to happen at some point with Ubuntu.