Would I benefit from having Lightroom catalog file on SSD vs HDD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Truthfulie, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Truthfulie macrumors regular

I have 250 GB internal SSD on 2013 iMac 27''. Since that's not even close to being enough storage for me, I have multiple external HDDs for storage. Right now, my Lightroom catalog file and the photos from the library all reside in the external HDD. Would I benefit from moving my library catalog file to the SSD or should I keep them on the HDD? If so, what would be the best way for me to move without messing up the catalog(i.e. breaking the links between the catalog and photos)?

2. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

yes.. this will put the catalog and thumbnails on the sdd which will give you a faster response wrong the drive.

3. thedeske, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Move the catalog folder (Named Lightroom by default if you made it that way) which includes several files including backups folder, Catalog.lrcat, previews.lrdata, import data.db, etc. to the SSD (if you've made several different catalog folders, same process applies)
    When you launch the catalog from it's new position, In the Library Module, control click the top folder on the left (likely will have a question mark on it) and choose synchronize folder. Navigate to the folder on the external. This should let Lightroom know where the files are and the question mark will be gone. Backup during quit for good measure.

Might be a good idea to delete the one on the external after everything is working. You can leave it, but it will not contain any edits you make with the internal drive catalog.