Would I benefit from waiting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bluegiz90, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Bluegiz90 macrumors member

I dont *need* a laptop, but I am really impatient about owning my first Macbook Pro.
    I'm a University Student, studying Games Design. I do a lot of rendering and animation on Maya, tons of photoshop work (Texturing, concept art, environments etc), and also use Painter a lot.

My question is, taking into consideration what I would be using this laptop for, would I be using its full CPU processing power with what I do? Is it worth me waiting?

Thanks in Advance!

2. 21st100 macrumors newbie

I suggest you wait, for the type of work you are going to do on the mac a new one probably would be better, besides Universities have computers what you can use while you are waiting :D
    Rough it til the new macbooks come out and you will feel sexy when you have a shiny new "top of the range", computer....

3. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

take one for the team and deplete remaining C2D inventories for us...

or wait. your call.

4. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I'm in a similar situation. I don't "need" a notebook right now, but I would like one. I have a 27" C2D iMac to keep me going for now, but I would like something to use on the go so I could take my school reading with me to a library or Starbucks.

I was going to wait for the iPad, but the more I think about it the more it seems like just a large iPod touch. A MacBook Pro would provide me with more functionality than an iPad (at a much higher cost, however).

I'd say wait another week and see what happens. If new MBPs come out and you decide you don't need the latest and greatest you could pick up an EOL older model for cheaper, or you could pick up one of the new machines. One week isn't too long to wait, and I think it's worth waiting to see what Apple might offer.

5. 21st100 macrumors newbie

Haha, thats a good idea, lets all go out and purchase an old MacBook and not open it, and return it after 13 days :D and hope in the 13 days a new model is released. Repeat until new ones are released...

6. phrint macrumors 6502

Your first sentence answers your question. We are all impatient and the release is going down sometime in February or March. It would benefit you to wait.

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'd wait, the 2015 MacBook Pro is supposed to be radical.

8. Falk3r macrumors newbie

Falk3r

I did not read the OP. I do not need to read the OP.

You would be foolish not to wait.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

i heard that too :rolleyes:

10. rawd macrumors regular

Ppl are so impatient these days. Back in my day...

11. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

especially for a person doing a lot of PS work. id wait. its only going to be a few days at the most. Once stores clear their inventory that can only mean one thing.... :apple:

12. dudulang macrumors member

2015?:confused:

13. wschutz macrumors 6502

Wrong! It will be the yet to be released, MacBook HyperPro, late 2447
    :D:D:D:):):p:):):D:D:D

14. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

A lot of people say buy when you need it but in the case of Apple, their refresh cycles are fairly predictable. We definitely know that a refresh to the MBPs are coming. If I were you, I would tough it out and wait, since you use apps that actually could take advantage of a better processor and other upgrades.

15. MaxZ. macrumors newbie

On a new Model i expect to have a little more ram as standardconfiguration. so where you now get 2 gbyte you maybe get 4 without a higher price...wich is good imho for aplications like photoshop....also more hdd can be expected and the allready sayed 10-20% faster processor can save you some time.....on the other hand you maybe have to wait a month longer.

16. kyzen macrumors regular

I've personally given up on waiting. The spec bump won't make any current machine run any slower. I'm going to go pick up an $800 Macbook from Microcenter this weekend; I'll get a fancy Pro whenever I tire of the Macbook.

17. pellebee macrumors member

hehe, it's like that song that went "in the year 3535,,,,in the year 4545..."

inpatient in a world of impatience!

18. chkenwing macrumors regular

@ OP

This is gonna be a shot in the dark but are you in the UK by any chance?

I'm in the same dilema as you! I'm doing a Games Tech course Final year though, but my usage is the same as you.

I was gonna bite the bullet and buy a current gen, but my netbook is happily doing the things I need it to do (Yes...running 3DSMax/PS simulatenously on an 1.6 Atom CPU is painful)

19. Raven1138 macrumors newbie

I heard it would still sport the Core 2 Duo...

20. .agency macrumors newbie

But due to Intel's bizarre naming conventions it would actually contain 65,563 logical cores.
    Luckily they've replaced the battery with a small nuclear reactor so its battery is guaranteed to live longer than the user.

21. copykris Suspended

copykris

i didn't read your initial post, but whatever your question was: buy now

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Buy one know, if you wait you'll be waiting forever... lol. I just brought a MacBook Pro :rolleyes:

23. starman0147 macrumors member

Wait, if you dont "need" it then dont buy it. Buying something you dont need is Consumerism, anyone telling you too buy now is a idiot.

24. Bluegiz90 thread starter macrumors member

Yeh I sure am, I'm studying at University of Central Lancashire. What about you?

I've decided to stay the hell away from these forums and check back in a month, because its stopping me from doing my work haha :eek:. If no new ones appear by the end of this month, I'm taking the plunge!

25. copykris Suspended

copykris

buy now