Would I better off getting a igpu instead of the dgpu on the 15 inch MBP if I dont game?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dk808, Sep 8, 2016.

  1. dk808 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    #1
    The only programs I use are Ableton Live 9 for music production and i dont feel like it would require a good graphics card to run well but Im not too sure.

    I also dont really game since there arent many games on mac anyways and I dont want to bother bootcamping Windows.

    The thing is the dgpu only costs about $100 extra so if there is an all around improvement in performance Id be willing to get it. The downside is I heard it causes the laptop to run hotter and uses more battery
     
  2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #2
    It'll be more than $100 with the dGPU, as you can't BTO the base rMBP 15" to just add a dGPU. The tier with the dGPU also comes with a better CPU and double the storage. Unless you're looking elsewhere than on the Apple Store? Can you post the links to what you're looking to get?

    Either way, it's a damn fine workhorse and it will easily handle what you'll need to do. I'd always suggest get the best specs you can afford, because nothing's upgradable once you've bought it.

    If you can afford to hold off, I'd suggest waiting a couple of months until the rumoured MacBook Pro refresh. Then you can pick up a refurb/old stock 15" rMBP for much cheaper. Otherwise, get whatever suits your budget.
     
  3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #3
    It'll make no difference to you but to be honest it won't make much difference to you if do have it either.

    So unless you use external screens as then it'll always be in use on an external screen, I'd suggest you forgo it.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    iGPU MBP: $1,999 which includes 2.2GHz Processor 256 GB storag
    dGPU MBP: $2,499 2.5GHz Processor 512 GB

    So for 500 dollars more (not 100), you get a faster CPU, more storage, and the iGPU/dGPU.

    Yes, running off the dGPU will increase the heat, and battery drain.

    You never mentioned what apps you'll be running (other then not gaming). The apps that you use may (or may not) take advantage of the dGPU.
     
  5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #5
    However the iGPU version with an upgrade to the 2.5ghz CPU and a 512gb SSD is $2399. Making the cost for a dGPU of $100.

    The OP did say mostly ableton live 9 as the apps used but I'm pretty sure they use it for more than that.
     
  6. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    #6
    2.2 ghz i7 with 16 gb ram and 512 gb ssd +iris pro is $2169 with an education discount
    2.5 ghz i7 with amd gpu and 15 ram+512 ssd is $2299
     
  7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #7
    I'd definitely go for the dGPU option, then! Battery life will be identical as it auto switches as and when it needs to.
     
  8. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    #8
    Ableton live 9, spotify, chrome/safari, etc. Maybe a steam game like CS GO or TF2 but those arent that important to me

    Also read my above post for the pricing
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Thank you
    Is there a big difference between 2.2 ghz and 2.5 ghz though?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Yea Im still kinda on the fence. I mean I guess it cant hurt to have the dgpu but i'll have to keep thinking about it
     
  9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #9
    On the fence?! You get a better CPU as well, for $100.

    2.2GHz is the i7-4770HQ
    2.5GHz is the i7-4870HQ

    Only about 5% difference (depending on what benchmarks you're looking at), but coupled with the dGPU, it's more than worth an extra $100. dGPU will also help with resource intensive tasks if the app's supported with OpenGL/Metal.

    I'd say go for the base one if you're paying RRP. But if it's $100 difference with your discount, it's a no brainer. Go for the higher spec one.
     
  10. lympero macrumors 6502a

    lympero

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2008
    Location:
    Arta, Greece
    #10
    If you want to keep it for a long time the yes.
     
  11. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    #11
    I'm just worried I will have issues with the dgpu heating up or draining battery when I don't really plan to use it. I want this laptop to last a long time, I'm currently on 2010 MacBook Pro and I hate how slow it's gotten
     
  12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #12
    Have you upgraded the RAM to 8GB on your 2010 MBP and swapped the HDD for an SSD?
     
  13. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    #13
    I upgraded the ram but not the ssd. I was planning on it but kept putting it off
     
  14. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #14
    I'd go for the SSD then. Financially that would be much better than ponying up for a new machine. HDD is likely failing from age alone. Plus the newer OS iterations run so poorly on a spinning drive.

    It'll run better than new with an SSD.
     
  15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #15
    An SSD will make it better than new, but that's money into an old machine.

    You may be better off waiting for the next MBP which will hopefully be out before Christmas.
     
  16. jerryk macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #16
    Christmas which year? Just kidding, sort of.

    So far I remember hear that the new rMBPs with Skylake would be Fall 2015 (for sure), Mar 2016, May 2016, and now Oct 2016. But KabyLake is due to ship soon, with laptop parts in Spring 2017. Microsoft put off updating their Surface units until spring 2017 waiting for them. Maybe Apple will do the same with the rMBP.
     
  17. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    #17
    I'd definitely won't go for the dGPU option as I don't want to deal with dGPU failure down the road.
     
  18. jerryk macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #18
    I went for a 2015 rMBP 15 with dGPU to drive external monitors. They had some pretty good discounts on Amazon so I got mine new for around $2250, which was $100 more than a refurb from Apple.
     
  19. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

    Spudlicious

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2015
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, England
    #19
    Integrated for likely better reliability. Put any extra available money into CPU/RAM/SSD.
     
  20. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #20
    They just can't wait now, it wouldn' bother me but patience is in short supply it seems.
     
  21. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #21
    OP, this is how you have to look at it, although with the (potential) redesign the pricing and options could change. The $500 jump bumps you up to a better CPU, SSD, and adds a GPU. IMO, if you don't need the dGPU you probably wouldn't care about the minimal jump in CPU (both are i7). If storage becomes an issue, you can always upgrade later from OWC or add an external.
     
  22. jerryk macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #22
    I am one of the people who tried to wait out Apple. I put off buying since last Xmas. Then in March it was "any day now", then in May "any day now". Finally I just bought the 2015 rMBP 15, at discount, in June. I am happy with the decision.

    If they come out with a new unit with a lot of changes to the internals I will wait to see how it shakes out. I do not want to deal with issues like 2012 rMBP owners.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    I am pretty sure you cannot do a 3rd party storage upgrade of a 2015 rMBP. And even the earlier rMBPs see slower disk speeds with the OWC upgrade.

    The 2015 rMBP has blazing fast SSDs (1.5 GB/sec) versus the fast SSDs (500 MB/sec).
     
  23. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

    syan48306

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #23
    It's $100 dollars for the dGPU as OP said

    iGPU MBP: $1,999 2.2GHz 256 GB
    iGPU MBP: $2,399 2.5Ghz 512GB
    dGPU MBP: $2,499 2.5GHz 512 GB

    I've had a 2012 rMBP with a deidcated GPU for 4 years again and for my next MBP, I'm going with a configuration like the bolded one. I don't game anymore and the current/next gen iGPU is going to be similar performance to the current dedicated GPU in the macbook pro. I absolutely hate the momentary stutter when it switches from the iGPU to dGPU and extra heat it puts out. It's so bad sometimes that apps crash during the transition.

    Really, people underestimate the Iris Pro versus a M370X. They're almost 80% comparable in performance.

    Heck, just look at the Iris Pro GT4e pull more flops than a M370X in the current macbook pro. If the current dedicated gpu is fast enough for you, then get the iGPU in the next MBP. :)


    [​IMG]
     
  24. lewdvig macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Location:
    South Pole
    #24
    I've had both and find the iGPU the better experience.

    Right now I have the dGPU version and the heat/battery life discrepancy (even with gfxcardstatus) is eye opening!

    I'm hoping we get 580 in the new rMBP.
     

Share This Page