Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Pencil is now perfect for me with some Pencil accessories - I am now loving my Pencil. I won't lose my cap and the grips help give the pencil better ergonomics for me. I've been writing for long periods just messing around and no more sore hand.

View attachment 624667

I'm not an artist either and while the Pencil wasn't something I had to have for my iPP, I do feel it was a worthwhile accessory for me. I use it for notes and sketching out layouts primarily. Handy when planning something like landscaping our yard. Nice to import a photo and use the Pencil to annote it. Totally home use.

My Pencil looks very much like yours above with some soft foam grips and a PencilCozy to attach the cap to the Pencil body. I didn't feel I needed the grip, actually found the Pencil very comfortable to hold, but added it for some cushion should it roll and drop.
[doublepost=1459732479][/doublepost]
Hehe - yeah it's a bit silly but the grips made just enough of a difference easier grip and less pinching. I got a pack of 16 all colored grips at WalMart. The cozy cap thing was surely overpriced but I won't lose my cap with it. Do a search for Pencil Cozy.

The PencilCozy and Pencil Lightning Adapter tether Combo Pack (2 separate items) can be ordered directly from Cozy Industries website for $9.99. https://cozy-industries.com Best deal I found and both are small aparts that I'd hate to lose. The adapter is now always attached to my charger cord so I don't have to hunt it down. They shipped first class in a padded envelope for only .99 so I didn't find it overpriced by ordering that way.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I just ordered myself an Apple Pencil for in-store pickup. I'm glad I did it today. In my area, all the iPad Pro accessories are starting to be in short supply. It took me forever to get Smart Keyboard cover and two of the three Apple stores in my area are sold out of the Pencil too.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I played around with it at the store and was surprised how good it is at taking written notes! Would definitely buy it if using for school/work note taking let alone the drawing feature.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Well, I brought my Apple Pencil home from the Apple Store today. Just to reiterate, I am NOT an artist of any kind, but after I took it out of the box, I somehow burned through about an hour and a half without even realizing it. I made some simple sketches in Paper and messed around with Notes. Then I took a look at some adult coloring books and downloaded PDF Expert.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to use the Pencil once I get over the fact that I finally have one, but I sure am glad it will be handy when I need it.

Edit: Does anyone else feel like they're going to scratch up their screen with this thing? I know it's not going to happen, but I still feel like I'm scratching the crap out of my iPad when I draw on it.

Last edited:

specialk0449

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I bought the Apple Pencil and the 12.9 iPad Pro yesterday. I am so glad I was able to buy the pencil and have enjoyed using it. I rebooted my iPad a few minutes ago and did not have to pair the pencil again. It connected automatically. I am amazed at how quickly the pencil re- charges. I went from 67% to 100% in approximately 20 minutes. Like many of you I am not an artist but have enjoyed taking notes and doing some sketching work. To me it is must have accessory for the Pro.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I bought the Apple Pencil and the 12.9 iPad Pro yesterday. I am so glad I was able to buy the pencil and have enjoyed using it. I rebooted my iPad a few minutes ago and did not have to pair the pencil again. It connected automatically. I am amazed at how quickly the pencil re- charges. I went from 67% to 100% in approximately 20 minutes. Like many of you I am not an artist but have enjoyed taking notes and doing some sketching work. To me it is must have accessory for the Pro.
I have found that I suddenly want to be an artist. I used to do some sketching type stuff back in the day, and now that I have an awesome tool to do it again, I'm going to have a go at it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I did put a screen protector on and have been heavily using the Pencil for 5 days. I have one spot on the protector that is scratched. I actually felt the pencil drag a bit when the scratch happened. My guess is that it picked up a speck of dirt. For me it's only the protector and I can easily replace it. But I would have really hated if the scratch was on my screen. So a word to the wise - if you feel the slightest bit of drag with your pencil - stop and clean both your screen and pencil tip.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
$100 to tap the screen. You could do that with a $5 stylus.

As someone who's owned many different styli for my iPads over the years. From the kind you mention to powered capacitive ones like the Jot Dash on to Bluetooth ones from Adonit and Wacom that are in the same price range as the Apple Pencil. And of course that one that's on the end of my arm, I forget the technical name for it :D

I can say hand on heart, not a single one has ever been as remotely good as the Pencil, it's in a different ballpark altogether.

Sure you can poke at the screen with any of them. But if you want to write or draw with them, none can hold a candle to the speed, accuracy, palm rejection or sheer reliability in output of the Apple Pencil.

The Pencil is one of the best and by feature parity, competitively priced products Apple has released in years.

Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: specialk0449

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I just got a 9.7" iPad Pro and was debating this same question myself. I am not an artist, but I do doodle a lot while I'm working. I answer phones, and it helps keep me focused while I'm talking to my customers. I go through a Pilot G2 ink cartridge about once a week. I figured I can justify the cost of the Pencil because it will have paid for itself within a year if I stop buying so many pens, ink cartridges, and notebooks that I throw away as soon as they're full, because they're ultimately not filled with anything important.

So the Pencil allows me to mindlessly doodle on the iPad until my heart's content, and I figure for that alone it's worth the cost. Plus I'm saving paper and plastic in the process.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I like the pencil, however I wish it was a soft tip, like the SP4 pen. The pencil is too noisy when taking notes in a quiet environment, because of the hard tip.

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Going from a tempered glass screen protector to a matte one dramatically reduced that tappy noise and improved the overall writing feel, but there's a slight reduction in visual quality. I get that pixelated matte effect with white backgrounds, especially when scrolling. The trade off would be worth it if I did a lot of drawing or note taking but I'm really debating about taking the matte protector off. I do intend to keep using some sort of screen protector, though. The fingers slide better, the matte one has a lot less fingerprints, and I've read several posts about people 's pencils scratching their iPads due to debris getting trapped under the pencil tip. If I could find a matte screen protector without the visual loss, that's what I'd get.

Last edited:

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I'm not an artist whatsoever.. but since AT&T is having that 20% off deal I'm tempted to now get it.. I plan on using it for jotting down quick reminders and probably coloring in the adult coloring books.. should I still get one or would that be a waste of money based on what I want to do?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I'm not an artist whatsoever.. but since AT&T is having that 20% off deal I'm tempted to now get it.. I plan on using it for jotting down quick reminders and probably coloring in the adult coloring books.. should I still get one or would that be a waste of money based on what I want to do?

It's definitely good for note-taking, especially if you use the right apps. GoodNotes, Notability, and MicroSoft's OneNote seem to be the favorites so far. There are a couple of threads on this in the iPad section.

I'm also using an app, MyScript Stylus, that adds a keyboard that will convert your handwriting to text. It works in basically any app you can type in.

Ricktor410

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
Maryland USA
I went to the Apple Store to try the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard. I didn't like either one. Of course, standing in the store isn't the best way to judge the keyboard. I tried a friends pencil for note taking and love it!

I bought the pencil for notes. It is amazing!! Have only had it a few days but I love it! Not much for drawing, but when writing notes, do use it to navigate was well. I use Notability, great app!

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for the tip on a matte screen protector cutting down on the noise. Will have to try that.

Going from a tempered glass screen protector to a matte one dramatically reduced that tappy noise and improved the overall writing feel, but there's a slight reduction in visual quality. I get that pixelated matte effect with white backgrounds, especially when scrolling. The trade off would be worth it if I did a lot of drawing or note taking but I'm really debating about taking the matte protector off. I do intend to keep using some sort of screen protector, though. The fingers slide better, the matte one has a lot less fingerprints, and I've read several posts about people 's pencils scratching their iPads due to debris getting trapped under the pencil tip. If I could find a matte screen protector without the visual loss, that's what I'd get.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I'm still weighing purchasing the pencil up. I've had Samsung Note phones for years and one of the reasons was the S-Pen. However despite being one of the coolest things about the phone, I rarely used the S-Pen so am wondering if the Pencil will just be the same. I'm not an artist so it would be for note taking I suppose.

One question is how often does the Pencil need charging say in hours of use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.