Would I get a ticket for using it while driving?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

In Canada (just like in the U.S. I think), you can get stopped by a cop if your using your phone while driving. But with the watch will it be the same? Will I get a ticket for touching the watch while driving?

I say that because I'm always nervous when I skip songs on my phone while driving...I thought that skipping songs on the watch would maybe solve that problem for me

2. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

If you're texting AND texting while driving is illegal there AND they ticket as a primary offense.

Texting is texting regardless of the device you are using but that's just MHO (my humble opinion).

3. kovey macrumors 6502a

I sure hope you do

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

California Vehicle Code:

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using an electronic wireless communications device to write, send, or read a text-based communication, unless the electronic wireless communications device is specifically designed and configured to allow voice-operated and hands-free operation to dictate, send, or listen to a text-based communication, and it is used in that manner while driving.
    (b) As used in this section "write, send, or read a text-based communication" means using an electronic wireless communications device to manually communicate with any person using a text-based communication, including, but not limited to, communications referred to as a text message, instant message, or electronic mail.
    (c) For purposes of this section, a person shall not be deemed to be writing, reading, or sending a text-based communication if the person reads, selects, or enters a telephone number or name in an electronic wireless communications device for the purpose of making or receiving a telephone call or if a person otherwise activates or deactivates a feature or function on an electronic wireless communications device.

----------

I'm sure the courts will classify the Apple Watch under this code. And to be honest, I'm okay with that, because there are enough horrible drivers here in SoCal.

5. UKFan643 macrumors regular

You'd have to read the law. In the US, most states just state using "electronic devices" that cause distracted driving. Watches would certainly fall in that.

6. mobutt macrumors 6502

You could probably win the ticket if you do it for now, but I'm assuming not long before they determine it's illegal while driving.

7. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

I'd leave it alone, or only do it at a red light. Seriously, don't fiddle with anything while driving. The safety of yourself and others is more important!

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm sure you will. It's distracted driving and taking your eyes off the road.