Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
The specs of my macbook pro are 2.5 ghz and it has 512 mb of vram. I want to setup bootcamp asap, I dont know if I should use xp or 7. I want to use fsx and a few other games. Which one would give me better frame rates and etc......

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
The specs of my macbook pro are 2.5 ghz and it has 512 mb of vram. I want to setup bootcamp asap, I dont know if I should use xp or 7. I want to use fsx and a few other games. Which one would give me better frame rates and etc......

What's fsx?

Typically graphics drivers have suffered a bit under Vista, i'd assume the same until there's been some benchmarks run under 7. It's usually in the 10% frame rate area, so for most games not a big deal.

If you run crysis at a high rez, well it might make the difference.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
What's fsx?

Typically graphics drivers have suffered a bit under Vista, i'd assume the same until there's been some benchmarks run under 7. It's usually in the 10% frame rate area, so for most games not a big deal.

If you run crysis at a high rez, well it might make the difference.

I think fsx means microsoft flight simulator any one else have any ideas

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I'd venture to say Windows 7, as it is supposed to be more efficient than XP or Vista.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Well, on my Mac Pro, my outdated x1900 was FAR faster in XP, but if you want to run DX10 games, you'd want 7. I haven't been able to get Ati's software wooing properly still, though, so overclocking seems to be broken in 7, but there's no way overclocking alone would cause that much of a difference...

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
Well first off do you have just a random copy of XP lying around? If not I recommend 7 just because it is free for the next year or so I believe. Just a thought.

Personally I would prefer XP if I had an extra one just because it is proven to work. There are some minor issues with 7 that I have run into but they aren't big enough to turn me away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.