Would I have any problem buying non-Apple USB-Lightning cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BrentwoodTWO, Oct 31, 2014.

1. BrentwoodTWO macrumors member

I need to buy another charging cable to charge my iPhone in the car. I can save money by buying non-Apple brand. But will I be able to charge my phone from my macbook air without any issue with this cable?
    [​IMG]

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I think you'd be fine, I use a couple Amazon Basics lightning cables with no issues at all.

That cable is you linked to is only 4 inches long though.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

4. docprego macrumors 65816

Just my opinion:

Is it important to to save $10 when we are talking about devices worth in excess of $600 and potentially as much as $1000? Not to me. I only buy genuine Apple cables.

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

so you don't buy belkin or incase cables?

6. OldGreyGuy macrumors member

I have found that the MFI (Made For iPhone) cables are fine for both charging and sync.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

8. docprego macrumors 65816

No, I only own Apple Lightning cables. I'm sure the rest are fine, but I prefer to buy original Apple.

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

Nope, look for the mfi certified cables. The Amazon basic and Anker brand ones are my favorites. They hold up much, much better than Apple's.

10. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

I don't worry about a passive component like a cable, though I'd avoid a $1 cable off ebay. It's best to only use Apple chargers though, or at least a very good 3rd party charger. A bad charger can shorten the lifetime of a battery or worst case burn your house/apartment down.

11. Femme macrumors regular

Sounds to me like a brain washed super fanboy: a stupid consumer.

12. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Another vote for Amazon basics. I have the 6ft cable and it's definitely heavy duty. Much more robust than Apple's.

13. docprego macrumors 65816

Thank you for using your 30th post in 4 years to insult someone's opinion. You are an expert in discourse and interpersonal communication!

In my 892 posts over 7 years I've never used that privelige to insult anyone. Quite the contrary actually.

I stand by my opinion that Apples cables are the best option!!!

14. Femme macrumors regular

Congratulations on your 892 posts in 7 years??????? I didn't even know I only posted 30 times in 4 years???????? Idk how it absolutely matters but okay?????? Congratulations??????????????????????

15. docprego macrumors 65816

No need to get angry. I'm just voicing my opinion, that's what make this forum valuable.

I'll continue to buy genuine Apple cables and never post to this unproductive thread again.

16. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

17. batmanners macrumors member

Yeah, I have to agree this is exactly what they want to brainwash you into thinking. I've been using 3rd party cables pretty much ever since I got my 4S. The worse that has happened is the CABLE stopped working. The Apple cable was just as reliable as the 3rd party cables.

Having an Apple logo on it doesn't make it the best/most reliable product on the market. If you applied the same logic to screen protectors/cases, you'd be in a lot of trouble relying on Apple.

As for the OP, Best Buy has some pretty good ones for 10 bucks that are longer than the one you posted to. The box said there's a year warranty on it, but I'm not sure how that works.