Would I lose ios7 if I select set up as new?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by betabeta, Jun 28, 2013.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I purchased an iPhone 5 with ios7 installed, but it still had the persons itunes email, my question is, when I connect it to itunes can I select set up as new, or will that remove the beta?

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

You really shouldn't have a beta on there in the first place... odds are he wasn't a dev and you aren't either. Betas are unstable and can crash your phone, also MANY apps crash/hang at startup with iOS 7 beta.

3. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

No, it won't. But i suggest you go back to iOS 6.1.4 since iOS 7 is for testing purposes only.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

With the new activation lock feature in iOS 7,you may have just bought a brick.
    If the previous owner didn't turn off Find my iPhone then you'll be stuck at the activation screen the next time you try to reset or restore.

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

will the activation lock still have effect even if you go to recovery/dfu mode then restore fresh to 6.1.4(it should for sake of security)? havent tested that yet.

6. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I got the phone it was already reset I assume since it started with the hello screen and the normal setup procedure. The strange thing is the wifi sync still lists his computer, and the itunes had his email listed, (Now I didn't enter my itunes account when setting up or it would have not shown up) but still not sure that should have survived a reset, nothing was logged in of course.

Anyway, I just set up on the phone and when I connected it to computer it never offered set up as new of course.

I put in my itunes account, my icloud account everything is active, t-mobile sim, find my phone, icloud, etc..

Logged into icloud on the computer find my phone shows up perfect.

Oh and this is just a backup, not my daily phone, so no worries. But I must admit ios 7 is running great for me, no crashes, good battery life, syncing and backups on itunes seem faster.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Activation lock will survive DFU mode and will still be in effect even if you revert to 6.1.4.
    Activation lock isn't on the phone -- it's on Apple's servers. With iOS7 every device gets locked to an Apple ID and it doesn't get unlocked unless you specifically unlock it by turning off Find My iPhone.
    Every attempt to erase or restore the phone will prompt you to first turn off Find My iPhone. And if you don't you can't proceed.
    If you bypass this step with DFU mode then the phone will still be locked to that Apple ID and the next time it attempts to activate via Apple's servers the password for that ID will be required.