Would I Need A Cover Letter If I Got The Interview Already?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, May 25, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So I called about this job and now I got an interview. So do I need a cover letter still? Or just bring the resume? I was thinkin bring the cover letter anyways.

2. Turkish macrumors 6502

No.

Just bring your resume.

The cover letter is a tool to secure the interview... you already have that.

No need to possibly introduce something that could, for whatever reason, be a detriment to you getting the job.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmmm OK. thanks!

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Bring multiple resumes. Offer one to every person that interviews you, unless of course they say, "No thanks, I already printed one".

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Only if you are mailing it in advance of your interview. "I look forward to meeting you... Enclosed please find my resume for your review..." etc.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The big question is....what job are you applying for?

Inquiring minds want to know.

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

Bring chocolates too and tell them that if they hired you they can count with a little thank you gift at the strip club down the street free of charge :D

(the you can take some picture to black mail them with their wive if they try to fired you in the future) :rolleyes:

8. chadi macrumors member

When I've applied for jobs in the past (I'm self employed now) I would bring a file folder for 2x the number of people I was expecting to have interview me (you never know who will be 'sitting in') in it I would include a copy of my cover letter (but I've always had to submit one before hand...so not bringing one does sound like good advice since you didn't supply one originally) along with all my reference letters.

Then in a separate binder I bring all my certifications, I try to keep them sorted by relevance for the job and then anything 'fun' to show that I am not a bore (again depends on the type of job...in sales they want personality...for number crunching maybe not so much).

That's what I do anyway YMMV :)

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I've conducted a good many interviews over the years with potential employees and a good cover letter never hurt anyone's chances of getting the job. ;)

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes, but an interviewer should have read the cover letter before the interview, not during it.

11. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

no... since they will get to know you in person.

12. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It was for a digital imaging and print place, entry level. Had to turn it down cause they wanted only long term employees, and I plan on goin back to school in the neark future.

13. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Writing a cover lettter is a good exercise though that requires some research about the company and thought about why you want to work there. So in general, I write one or at least work such a document before an interview.