Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy111

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Hello guys.

I've had a new ( and my first ) macbook pro 13" base model.

So far i love it, everything went by so fast and easy <3

My only complaint ( like many others ) is that it is horrible for gaming.

The base model came with 4gb ram... i know that i can't really upgrade anything else besides the ram since the graphics card and such is soldered to the board or something...

I have played empire total war on my PC side ( bootcamp ) and it runs great, but cod4 on my mac is horrible.

I dont know if its because games run better on pc, but i get around 15 frame rate at medium settings.

At low i can get around 25 which is playable...

I know that it would not be a huge upgrade, but would i notice any difference??

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
RAM would make an insignificant difference. It's the GPU. Nothing you can do about that. The 13" just isn't meant to be a hardcore gaming machine.

Juicy111

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
RAM would make an insignificant difference. It's the GPU. Nothing you can do about that. The 13" just isn't meant to be a hardcore gaming machine.

i know :eek:

im a light gamer, it doesn't bug me, but just wondering :D

Juicy111

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
just looked for any software updates and noticed one of them was "improved graphics stability" or something... meh?

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
just looked for any software updates and noticed one of them was "improved graphics stability" or something... meh?

Yeah, I think that was mostly for the 15" and 17". Some users were having freezes when under heavy GPU load. Others were having problems with flickering on external monitors as well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know that it would not be a huge upgrade, but would i notice any difference??
Launch Activity Monitor and look at the System Memory tab at the bottom. If your "page outs" and "swap used" are very high under normal use, you could benefit from more RAM. If those two readings are small or zero, more RAM would make no difference.

Juicy111

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Launch Activity Monitor and look at the System Memory tab at the bottom. If your "page outs" and "swap used" are very high under normal use, you could benefit from more RAM. If those two readings are small or zero, more RAM would make no difference.

page outs = 176kb
swap used=4mb

for some reason it sais i only have 1.62 gb ram free -_-

Nov 28, 2010
located
page outs = 176kb
swap used=4mb

for some reason it sais i only have 1.62 gb ram free -_-

Isn't that good?
What did you buy the RAM for if you want to have it free? 1.62GB out of 4GB is 40%, meaning 40% of your RAM is unused. I wish I had that kind of RAM when working in AE or other 64-bit applications.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My friend got over 40fps on his 2010 MBP 13" ...
Search improve fps in cod 4 in google a lotta thins you can do to improve frame rate. Also make sure anti aliasing is off and sync ever frame is off as well as shadows. Pretty much have everything off or low apart from textures. Try lowering your screen resolution down one two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.