Would i notice ANY difference if i upgraded my ram??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juicy111, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Juicy111 macrumors member

Hello guys.

I've had a new ( and my first ) macbook pro 13" base model.

So far i love it, everything went by so fast and easy <3

My only complaint ( like many others ) is that it is horrible for gaming.

The base model came with 4gb ram... i know that i can't really upgrade anything else besides the ram since the graphics card and such is soldered to the board or something...

I have played empire total war on my PC side ( bootcamp ) and it runs great, but cod4 on my mac is horrible.

I dont know if its because games run better on pc, but i get around 15 frame rate at medium settings.

At low i can get around 25 which is playable...

I know that it would not be a huge upgrade, but would i notice any difference??

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. simsaladimbamba

No, as games are 32-bit and can't take advantage of more than 2GB RAM anyway,

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

RAM would make an insignificant difference. It's the GPU. Nothing you can do about that. The 13" just isn't meant to be a hardcore gaming machine.

4. Juicy111 thread starter macrumors member

i know :eek:

im a light gamer, it doesn't bug me, but just wondering :D

5. Juicy111 thread starter macrumors member

just looked for any software updates and noticed one of them was "improved graphics stability" or something... meh?

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Haha, I understand. No hurt in asking! :D

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think that was mostly for the 15" and 17". Some users were having freezes when under heavy GPU load. Others were having problems with flickering on external monitors as well.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and look at the System Memory tab at the bottom. If your "page outs" and "swap used" are very high under normal use, you could benefit from more RAM. If those two readings are small or zero, more RAM would make no difference.

9. Juicy111 thread starter macrumors member

page outs = 176kb
    swap used=4mb

for some reason it sais i only have 1.62 gb ram free -_-

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. simsaladimbamba

Isn't that good?
    What did you buy the RAM for if you want to have it free? 1.62GB out of 4GB is 40%, meaning 40% of your RAM is unused. I wish I had that kind of RAM when working in AE or other 64-bit applications.

12. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My friend got over 40fps on his 2010 MBP 13" ...
    Search improve fps in cod 4 in google a lotta thins you can do to improve frame rate. Also make sure anti aliasing is off and sync ever frame is off as well as shadows. Pretty much have everything off or low apart from textures. Try lowering your screen resolution down one two.