Would I notice much difference with this upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Apr 20, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The new MBP's sound great, longer battery life, better trackpad, faster, perhaps cooler running it's got my interest :)

But, I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to upgrade. Price isn't a concern and I spend a lot of time on my laptops, 12 hours or more some days.

I currently have a -
    15" MBP, mid '09
    2.8 ghz
    4 gb ram
    512 vram, 9600m GT
    256 ssd

if I upgraded to -

i5 15" MBP
    2.53 ghz
    8 gb ram
    GT 330M with 256MB
    256 ssd

OR

go all out and order -
    i7 15" MBP
    2.66 ghz
    8 gb ram
    GT 330M with 512MB
    256ssd

The reason I listed the i5 option along with the i7 is I'm thinking the i5 may run cooler and quieter? If that's the case I'd prefer that.

My uses are -
    CS4 for concept/design drawing
    photo / video editing, (hobby)
    heavy word processing, emaiing
    web surfing
    movie, video watching

Or should I stick the the 15" MBP i have now, or if I upgrade should I get the i5 or i7?

Thanks.

2. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I'd go with the I7 or just keep what you have.

You would actually be degrading video performance going from 512mb to 256mb. If you never game than maybe thats not a big deal.

I was in the same position as you, my wife got the 15" 2.8 C2D and I went for a I7 17". Was torn on the I7 15" too.

3. thecheda macrumors 6502

Graphics

The jump down in graphics capability is a huge cut down to your productivity. Keep the current or go i7.

4. mirage5 macrumors newbie

You have a decent MBP. If I were you, I would wait at least for the next refresh to buy a new MBP.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Seriously people? The 330m with 256mb will still outperform the 9600m gt with 512mb.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But it's still not worth the difference; the older machine will have to be sold at a loss, so the difference be even greater; that said the even the i5 2.4GHz model is the faster than the older 2.8GHz model, but if any upgrades are done, it should be to the i7 (though I wouldn't if I needed to sell my older machine).

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Totally relevant, I was merely commenting on the people who have no clue what they are talking about, they just see: 512 > 256, ooh bad!!

I said nothing about it being worth the switch.

8. nconnella macrumors regular

I say keep your current until Apples next GPU update at LEAST. Your computer is barely a year old and a great machine. I would keep it until it obviously just isn't cutting it anymore for your CS work. These things aren't built to be replaced every year. If your work requires top end gear at all times you should be using an upgradable desktop. The way people can burn through technology frightens me sometimes.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan