would i qualify for a replacement mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scribbledorange, Apr 18, 2011.

1. scribbledorange macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i've the early macbook pro 2008 (the one with the nvidia 8600 graphics card defect)

i've had quite a few problems over the years:

July 2009 - i had to replace my faulty superdrive
    July 2010 - i had to get the temperature sensor and heat pipe replaced

after that incident, my mac has always been SUPER hot, going up to minimum 70 degrees while on intensive use, max about 100 degrees?
    is that normal?

my computer would lag while gaming in windows, and sometimes even shuts down on its own and the heat problems persists.

In March 2011, i sent my computer in for the heat issues again, my retail store (which is located at the university of western australia) told me that the heat problems persisted because my computer was 'too dusty' and wanted to charge me 120 bucks to 'dust off the dust'.

i rejected their offer, and cleaned it myself. indeed it was dusty, but after a through cleaning, the heat problem remained. i decided to live with it.

my computer just died on me the other day (in early april 2011) while i was surfing the net, the screen started showing lines, and i couldn't boot up to mac or windows.

i brought it in, they said i needed to get the logic board replaced.

i got my computer back, few days later my harddrive died on me, for no reason at all.

-

i'm extremely frustrated, because now i have no laptop at home, and i have to travel to school every single day to keep up with my assignments. The time i have taken to bring my laptop up and down for repairs, and the time taken to get to being repaired is alot. i'm upset because i paid over 3K for the laptop and it is supposed to last me a good 5 years, and its only halfway there.

my applecare warrenty ends in june 2011.

any advice?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe a bit high, but not out of the ordinary.

Normal.

You don't have anything to lose by asking for a replacement. You may or may not get one.

3. scribbledorange thread starter macrumors newbie

is it true the 3 major hardware defects need to occur all within the same year?
    and that it has to be on the same issue?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Semi true. That's usually the cited party line, but there have been numerous cases here and there that differ significantly and have gotten replacements.

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Miles,
    Welcome back to the MacBook Pro Forum :) Haven't seen you around recently.

6. davmcn macrumors regular

If it keeps giving you that much grief, I suggest you ask for a replacement, make use of that Apple Care you paid for.