Would I Really Notice The Difference In RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txhockey9404, Feb 1, 2009.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I am looking to upgrade my first gen 2.0ghz Aluminum 20" iMac with 1gb of RAM to 3gb, but I don't know if it is really noticeable. I currently use about 70-98% of my memory during normal tasks, and with 6 hours of usage since my last restart, I have used 1gb of Swap, have 150,000 page outs, and 300,000 page ins. I just can't stand waiting for my computer to respond. Will upgrading RAM help in that respect, and is 3gb good enough, or should I save a bit longer to get 4gb? I don't have $45 sitting around, but I do have about $30. I would like to use my current 1gb stock stick, but I have another iMac that could take it if I got 4gb.

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Yes You would notice the difference, evermore so with 4GB.

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

3 GB is enough for most people. So if money is an issue then just get one 2 GB stick. However, if you're having similar issues with the other iMac and they use the same memory it would be best to save up the extra $15 and get 4 GB.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Memory is so cheap right now that everyone with less then 2 gig should upgrade. I'd even suggest more if the system takes it.

Memory has never been cheaper.

5. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have been thinking that maybe if I get 2gb now, prices will continue to go down, and then I can get another 2gb later. That way, I get instant gratification, as well as the ability to increase the longevity of my computer by giving it the ability to be upgraded. I have had my computer for almost 2 years, and it needs to last at least 1-2 more.

6. johndavidwright macrumors member

its probably one of the best things you can do to your computer