Would installing Optibay and additional HDD void my warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhixionFilms, Mar 25, 2012.

1. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I installed 8gb ram and a 1tb additional HDD into my mbp by replacing the superdrive with the optibay and HDD. I was wondering if this voided my warranty? I was going to buy the extended applecare, but if I have already voided my warranty I don't want to waste my money. Does anyone have any experience bringing their macbook to applecare with an installation of the optibay?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. iMacC2D, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Just put it back to stock if you need to take it in for a warranty repair.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This always comes up. Just keep everything around. If you're going to send it in for warranty repairs, put everything back the way it was initially. If you do a forum search, plenty of people have asked this before you.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Agreed. You don't want a pissing match as to whether the changes caused the failure. You'll never win that fight.

7. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have done the optibay, as well as new thermal paste for my 17". I would definitely put the SD in it if you ever had to get it repaired.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did the thermal paste thing actually improve your temperatures? I'm just wondering. Even if high temperatures are considered normal, lower with less fan noise would be nice.

9. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Without a doubt it did. The shoddy stock job was unbelievably messy. I under volt and over clock my GPU in windows from 600core/800ram to 775/975 @.955v and see lower temperatures than when it had the stock paste.

I did apply MX-4 but I want to redo it with AS-5 (still the champ).

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure why such a simple thing slips past them. It's really puzzling. That stuff isn't difficult to apply. I'm also not sure why you didn't just use arctic silver initially :p.

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

12. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

MOAR IZ BETTA!!

Seriously though, they probably do this so that your electronics wear out faster and have to be replaced, causing you to purchase new ones :)

I didn't have the tube at the time, and also I didn't realize how good AS5 was over all the other brands until this.