Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Oh boy I can see now all the dash mods coming. B4r u do though, check the spec section at what temp the device can handle to stay permanent mounted in a hot car.

expy

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
This was one of the first things I thought of when the mini was rumored. Think of the new hardware category "in dash docking stations".

denver133

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Denver, CO
This was my thought for my Subaru.

iPadinCar.jpg

Here is the mount that replaced the double din stock stereo.

33266301.jpeg

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
No because it's a waste of money for what you want to use it for plus someone will smash your window and steal it.

Smog

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
I am really considering this. Originally, I thought about a Nexus 7 in the car, mainly because it was cheap, small and had GPS. However, with the mini being released, I think I'll go with this option.

Heres my idea:

• Buy a cheap Hard Shell from eBay, then attempt to cut it to provide a bumper like case.

• Mount this in front of my radio on my dash, allowing for access to the radio if needed. Do this using some sort of bond or sticky pads.

• Click iPad mini into place when driving, remove when not driving.
In theory it should work, it just depends on the strength of the pads I use and the weight of the mini. May even try to make a frame to attach over the front the mini to hold in place better.

If anyone knows of a company who make a two part (Front/back case) it would be appreciated.

OneBigFatNinja

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
No because it's a waste of money for what you want to use it for plus someone will smash your window and steal it.

Errr if someone is dumb enough to leave it there then of course it'll be stolen.

In all seriousness if you had that and also an AUX port you could use it for Sat Nav, Music and the reminders app with location based reminders would work well too.

Good idea I think.

jvmoore1

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
i would love to do this. It would be even better if i could FWD my iphone through the ipad while driving so i could receive calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.