Would iPad users benefit from having cell phone functionality?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iDemiurge, Sep 11, 2012.

?

Should the cellular iPad offer phone functionality?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2012.
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

It has always struck me as odd that the cellular iPad does not have a phone app so that it can be used to make calls and send/receive SMS with its own number. Granted that many people wouldn't want to use it this way. The question is not whether it should have it, but why it doesn't have it, since it doesn't look like something overly complicated to implement.

Carriers could simply offer the option of data-only or data+phone plans.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not in my opinion. I am not holding up a 10" tablet to my head to talk to someone on the phone.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

How is it odd? It's a tablet. Apple has the iPhone for calls.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Not really! Bt nice to have like on all samsung galaxy tablet none US market of course!

5. iDemiurge thread starter macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

LOL, I've seen things worse than that in London's Soho...

Anyhow, I'm not suggesting anyone should hold an iPad to their ears. It just seems to me that it is a functionality that could be easily added since the hardware is basically there. Those who want it would probably be sensible enough to use earphones.

There could just be a toggle, active-deactivate phone number, and a phone app that could be easily hidden if desired.

6. WhySoSerious, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012

WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

you're not holding it up to your ear, you would put it on speaker phone. geeez, why do people insist that you must hold a huge tablet up? when you're on a conference call at work, sitting at a conference table and there is a conference speaker phone in the middle of the table, you don't see all the participants picking up the huge speaker phone do you?

since carriers are going to shared plans anyway, why NOT have iphones/ipads use the same minutes, messages, data?

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

But you argue that the question isn't if it should have it or not, but why it doesn't have it. The answer is quite simple, Apple has the iPhone if you want to make phone calls. They wouldn't go out of their way to add that functionality into the iPad.

8. FastEddy macrumors regular

FastEddy

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

10. iDemiurge thread starter macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

So you agree it should have it and that there is no reason for it not to have other than Apple/carriers wanting to restrict functionality for commercial reasons. Everything you can do with an iPad you can do with an iPhone, minus the big screen, yet Apple sells a lot of both.

Writing a pages document on an iPhone is inconvenient and not something people would do all the time, but pages is an universal app. Likewise the iPad wouldn't be the go-to phone for most, but it'd be good to have it as an option.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

No, I don't agree that it should have it. I was responding with the logical reason why it wouldn't even make sense for Apple to have it.

12. appswipe macrumors 6502

What century do you come from? Bluetooth, Wired headphones. Speakerphone.

Think of it like the optional LTE antenna. You get the antenna version if you want Phone/LTE and you get the WiFi if you don't need it.

For for me then "phone calls" is probably the activity I do the least on my iPhone so IF it worked like iMessage where you have multiple devices tied to the same account then I could easily see carrying around an iPad Mini over an iPhone.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

A blue tooth ear piece would solve the problem.

14. iDemiurge thread starter macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

What doesn't make sense here is the logic that less is better. It's something that can be added without taking anything away. There is no trade-off.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am tiring of the iphone.
    with the shared data plan it makes more sense for me to tote the ipad more and more.
    Carrying an ipad/backpack doesn't bother me.

If I could have phone capability on the ipad I would dump the iphone immediately.

16. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Completely agree. If we're honest with ourselves, the only reason there isn't cellular functionality is to protect Apple's true cash cow, the iPhone. There are no technical issues with it. The Galaxy Tab 7 has built in cellular functions.

I've come to the conclusion actually that I don't really want two devices. I'd LOVE something like an iPad Mini which could also double as my phone.

17. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

18. appswipe macrumors 6502

Or bluetooth.... To your Nano Watch? :D

Seriously, how possible would this be? iPad with cell service that you can operate as speakerphone or with a Bluetooth headset... OR your brand ipod Nano?

19. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I dont know if you are aware but even right now there are quite a few APPS paid one's which offer you calling service from your iPad. I have been using it for quite a while the voice quality ain't any great sounds like you are making a overseas distant call !

20. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

it could be a good speaker phone or good for using a headset with. The best thing would be to use in the car. sync up with bluetooth! i'd not go for either but i'm sure some would and i'd think it would be an easy thing to make happen since it's already got the antenna system.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't mind the iPad having it. You could use a headset of some sort. What I would mind is the extra money it would cost. I don't want to have to have a cell plan for another device.

22. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

this,

I know people who have the samsung galaxy tablet and they look ridiculous talking on the phone with it.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You would use a headset.

24. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

But there is no problem. I have a phone for making calls.

----------

No, I wouldn't. I would use my phone.

This is like asking why my saw doesn't have a screwdriver on it. Cause it's a saw!