Would iPhone sales increase if they came with Beats earbuds instead of Apple EarPods?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cyborg21, May 10, 2014.

?

Would iPhone sales increase if they came with Beats earbuds instead of Apple EarPods?

1. Yes, it would boost iPhone / iPod sales

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Yes, it would boost iPhone / iPod sales very highly

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. No, it wouldn't affect iPhone / iPod sales

40 vote(s)
    60.6%
  4. No, it would decrease iPhone / iPod sales

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. I am not sure

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Ok, I asked question in title, so what do you think?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No. People buy Beats for the brand, and Apple is already a brand, so it wont make a difference.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I HIGHLY doubt Apple would replace the EarPods with beats headphones. It would look like an oddball in the packaging unless they make them white, or Apple comes out with new earbuds that have beats technology inside or something like that.

4. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Maybe fusing EarPods and Beats EarBuds would be a good idea :confused:

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Funny thing is that my coworker always infer that people who buy beats for the build quality and the look are the same "snob" people buying apple... And now they've merged. My guess is that apple will start selling headphones ala beats and, revamp the iTunes Store and more streaming option with the record industry this is where Dre and pa one will excel, and make iTunes compete with spotify and pandora. Overall good purchase IMO.

6. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

As if the iPod earphones aren't expensive enough!! Now they will be priced similar to gold bars!!

7. cube macrumors G5

ALL earbuds and open headphones should be forbidden in public transport.

(not in-ear or closed headphones)

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I don't think this is about acquiring a headphone brand. More like a music brand.

And grabbing it quickly - before Google does.

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Maybe iPod a bit but I doubt it would noticeably change iPhone sales - I think people buy iPhones for all features and not just for earbuds that they could buy anyway with the phone they wanted.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yes, I think it would boost sales since clearly there are people paying big money for these headphones separately. If you get them for free with your iPhone purchase then I think that would encourage more people to pick up the iPhone.

I'd be surprised if Apple did that right away though. The separate headphone business is very successful. Maybe they will include a low end pair of beats headphones with the 6s.

11. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Anything would be better than the god awful earpods Apple ships with iphones and ipods.

12. paleriderc2d macrumors member

There is a reason why Beats headphones were initially offered in red - Dr. Dre is/was a bloods member. Not sure if any money is filtering back to the home crew but it would not surprise me.

This is a truly tasteless acquisition by Apple.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To address the OP, no. I do not think the ear pods or ear buds have anything to do with iPhone sales. I don't think there will be a positive or negative effect.

Before you go spewing this information you should qualify your little claim with some references, even just one. I am not defending the guy but it is truly tasteless to make such a remark without qualifying it. Since we're on the subject of tasteless and all.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You sound like a snob man. And a hater

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'd sell them for cash and buy myself a pair of EarPods. Or keep the ones I have now. Keep beats headphones separate from current Apple hardware!

17. Serban Suspended

Apple bought beats so no beats logo anywhere on iphone/headphones

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i like the new EarPods over anything beats makes.

19. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I doubt it. If someone isn't satisfied with the features of the iPhone and iOS, I doubt that a different audio headset would change their mind.

20. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Maybe beats Audio in the next iOS devices. Beats inspired earbuds as well. That and starting 32 gb would mean 100 extra starting price

21. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

There's a $70 spread between EarPods at retail and the least-expensive Beats in-ear headphones.

I don't see it as a way of increasing sales. If anything, if would dramatically devalue the Beats brand. The entire after-market headset industry is built on the notion that the included headset is crap. Going forward, will the stores simply give up on those very profitable sales? No, they're likely to diss the Beats that are included with the phone. As soon as they start implying that Beats is sub-standard, the after-market sales will skew heavily towards other brands.

Further, it's an expensive item to "give away," when only a fraction of purchasers will care. There will be those who buy Apple, no matter what. There will be those who will buy anything but Apple, no matter what. In between those, "better headsets" is just one of many features being used to distinguish between brands. How often is it likely that the headsets will be the factor that tips the balance? If it's more than 10%, I'd be astounded. That means, Apple expends $700 of value for the sake of one additional sale. That just doesn't add up. New software features are very cheap. Upgraded hardware isn't.

22. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

It's only expensive to give away at retail value though. if Apple owns beats, includes beats inspired earbuds, and puts beats audio in phones, iPhone starting price could increase to 749 now. Hopefully with 32 gb starting memory too.

23. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Silly ignorant post! Dre was not a gang member. He grew up in a Crip(Blue) area of Compton California but was not a gang member

24. wxman2003 Suspended

Why would Apple want to damage their image by including crappy Beats junk?

25. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It's proportionally the same - I was quoting retail price of the phone, retail price of the headset. I could have dropped it down to wholesale cost of each, and assuming the profit margin is roughly the same on both items, it would still come down to 10:1 - give away ten to close one sale. That's just not good business.