Would iPhone SIM give features to another phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Dec 12, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So in a few years, when the iPhone gets "old" lets say, i know i can put the SIM card in another phone, but would i be able to get the data and SMS messages in my new phone, say an unlocked sony erricson, and not have to get a new data plan? Would this work as long as i didn't tell ATT that i got a new phone??

Thanks

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Supposedly people now take their iPhone sim card and stick them in other phones. Example, I knew somebody who stuck the sim card in a 3G phone and used it as a modem, for their mac, while on vacation.

So yes the data plan worked, and I'm sure you'd get your 200 messages too.

The plan is really the same as the AT&T Media Max + 200 text plan, which is the same $19.99.

However, why ever leave iPhone? Someday just get iPhone v. 2 or v.3.

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just interested in my options. I love the iPhone. So you can get the same data/text message plan with ATT for the same amount of green? I could swear it was like 99 bucks for the same stuff w/o the iPhone.

4. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you were right. I just checked ATT website, and they have the data+200 texts for the same 19.99. Now i'm really glad i switched from Verizon, because as far as i know, they don't have this plan avaliable, only data on smartphones. I like to know i have the choice to do what i want.

I guess my only question now would be, does it depend on the phone you have wether you get 3G or EDGE, or the plan you have. So if i get a 3G phone, do the services just upgrade on its own?