Would Iris Pro be sufficient for less-intensive games?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloud25, Oct 25, 2013.

1. cloud25 macrumors newbie

I'd love to play some games on a new 15" rMBP every now and then, nothing too intensive as I prefer consoles for latest game releases.

How would the Iris Pro fare with games like SCII, Diablo III, LoL, Dota 2? I'm really hesitant on forking over another couple hundred for GT 750M if Iris Pro can run them without issues.

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I can run SCII and D3 fine on my MBA, Iris Pro will run them.

3. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

It is quite a capable piece of hardware, so as long as the drivers and the games are optimised well, it'll handle them without breaking a sweat.

4. Shmanky macrumors regular

5. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. I'm itching to see how well my new 15" can handle EVE Online.

My current Lenovo T420 with the HD3000 manages to hang in there on the lowest settings possible, so I'm curious to see how far Intel's come in two generations.

6. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

computer games are not designed to be played by integrated graphics. Nvidia and AMD owns this market. With that said the majority of computers in the world dont have dedicated graphics. But you cannot be sure that everything will run well. you might experience impossible bad performance in some games. Intel dont really spend time optimizing for games. its not a big part of their agenda.

they are trying to phase out nvidia/amd in other areas. like video and photo editing.

I dont know anyone who loved to game on their laptops who didnt regret getting a machine with integrated. even if they where happy enough with it in the beginning it starts sucking more and more as the machine gets older. 650m is not cutting it anymore any many modern games and you are going to feel it in the next call of duty and battlefields who dont even look that much better than their year old previous installments.

its a new console gen that marks a steeper rise in specs despite the development friendly language between the two. devs are getting lazy and its easier to optimize for higher end hardware than low end. and iris pro is a fairly low end GPU. Its a hig end integrated GPU but its not something to be mentioned with gaming.

the driver thing is also an issue. Gaming has to be 10% max of what you want to do with the machine. otherwise, please stop and either get the 15 inch model with 750m or have a gaming pc or a console. its not going to be a dedicated gaming macine.

7. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Iris Pro does look like a significantly more capable GPU than we're used to seeing from Intel. Here's what Anandtech had to say when they reviewed the new entry-level iMac:

Since the OP specifically mentions less-intensive games, it could well be that Iris Pro is sufficient for their needs.

Broadly, though, I agree with you. An integrated GPU makes for a much more future-proof machine, and it'll allow you to play the games you want to play with higher graphical fidelity.

If you're on the fence, the best thing to do is to wait for a week or so until the reviews and benchmarks get posted (again I'd recommend Anandtech; I've always found their reviews to be thorough and fair). There's lots of factors to account for since that iMac review; Mavericks and (maybe) better Intel drivers, for example.