Would it be a bad idea to buy a 27" IMac now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Beji, Jun 18, 2014.

  1. Beji macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2014
    I been waiting for a new 27" IMac but apple didn't release it at WWDC or today so my question is would it be dumb of me to buy the 27" model now???

    I plan on buying it with these specs
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz,
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB (I will probably upgrade later)
    1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm (would it be dumb to buy it with this)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5.

    I will be using Ableton, Photoshop, After Effects, Zbrush, Blender 3D, Maya or Modo(3D software)

    Plz help :)

    (Are there rumors about when the next 27" IMac will be released???)
  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    At this point, I'd say go for it. We'll not see anything until intel releases the boradwell chipset late in 2014
  3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

    Jul 13, 2008
    There's always a chance there will be new tech out there soon. But is there really anything that's gonna make it impossible to do your work? as opposed to giving you a case of pointless feature envy? Unlikely.

    You are using, however, software that benefits from hardware updates. And you are thinking of buying a computer well known to be impervious to processor, graphics, and other upgrades. If this really concerns you need to get a hackintosh or a MP. Cuz even if you bought a newly designed iMac it will, inevitably, fall behind performance wise.

    And not only that, but get an SSD. It's the best speed upgrade for much of any user's everyday work. Sure, you can add an external later, but if you need an all-in-one that is truly in-one then get at least a hybrid drive.

  4. Jingleballz macrumors newbie

    Nov 30, 2012
    Yeah I agree. We're not where we were 15 years ago when we would get a massive hardware update every 6 months. Things have calmed down a lot recently in repsect to computer hardware. Mobile devices on the other hand, well those get updated very 6 months with massive improvements.

    I wouldn't dwell on it so much, pull the trigger and buy what you want/need and don't look back. That machine you've spec'ed out will suit you just fine for at least 3 years.
  5. khedden macrumors member

    Jun 18, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    I'm in the same boat as you. Looking to upgrade and I've been waiting for the next refresh.

    What I was hoping for:
    a) SSD or fusion standard in iMacs, or at least cheaper as an option
    b) GPU refresh
    c) minor CPU bump
    d) retina would be gravy, but I'm not expecting that until 2015

    With the introduction of the low-cost iMac without a refresh on the rest of the lineup, I expect no changes to the iMac line for at least 2-3 months.

    If there is a change in after 2-3 months, I no longer expect SSD or fusion standard since the new model doesn't have it. I don't really expect more affordable SSD or fusion options since the new model is in-line on those options with the other models.

    So best case, I think we see a minor iMac refresh on the rest of the lineup toward the end of summer or fall with a minor CPU bump and maybe new 800m GPUs. Likely no change on the storage front and no retina.

    That said, the difference between the current models and the possible minor refresh models will be minimal. If you need an iMac now, then go ahead and get one.

    If you can comfortably wait until late winter/early spring 2015, then you will likely get Broadwell CPUs plus the possibility of other improvements (GPU, better/cheaper storage, maybe retina). But that's a long way off for someone that needs a machine now.

Share This Page