Would it be a bad idea to buy no name ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JSmoove05, Jan 14, 2011.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

I was going to buy 4x4GB of DDR3 1066mhz ram from macsales.com for a decent price. I found an ebay seller with good feedback selling it for about 60 dollars cheaper but I dont see on the ram. Is there a difference them buying OWC which is probably so name ram or just buy the same ram at a cheaper price even though its no name can anyone please help me out.

2. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

The one and only time I tried "no-name" RAM, it caused nothing but headaches. With the factory RAM everything was great; with the no-name RAM I had continual crashes, spinning-beach-balls-of-death and so on. It had never occurred to me that all RAM is not created equal, even if it has equal specs. Since then, I've done my upgrades using RAM from OWC and everything has worked fine.

3. binarydev macrumors newbie

a lot of the ram I purchased for my mac mini servers and macbook pros came from newegg or ebay (mostly ebay) and I have not had a single poorly performing module yet.

4. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I never was a firm believer in this saying until I moved out on my own but,

5. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Apple buys RAM from various manufacturers - as long as you purchase name brand RAM (i.e. Kingston, Mushkin, Corsair, Crucial, Samsung, etc.) you'll be fine.

Just don't buy the crap "refurb" stuff you see on eBay. It's hit or miss - not worth the headaches.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

7. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Spend a small amount of money and buy good stuff (from Crucial.com or wherever). It is far too important to the computer to penny pinch, and Macs are generally pickier about RAM than the typical computer.

8. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

crucial.com is a good site for affordable RAM, also check the usual sites, Newegg, Tigerdirect. Corsair is my favorite but when they don't have what I'm looking for Mushkin or Crucial works great.
    There's name brand I don't touch too because of past experience. Stay away from PNY or any other budget RAM. Corsair ValueSelect is hit or miss as it isn't designed for Apple but the price is tempting even though the specs on paper line up perfectly.

9. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

The only RAM "designed for Apple" is old Mac Pro RAM, which came with an Apple-approved heat spreader. Buy the ValueSelect!:D

I usually buy from Kingston just because I've never had an issue with any of the RAM purchased from them, and it is pretty cheap. Have you considered second hand? If it isn't DOA it will probably work fine and save you some $$$.

10. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Just a note from experience for anyone reading: keep away from Corsair's ValueSelect line. If you're going to buy Corsair, buy proper Corsair. If you want good RAM, buy that, or a proper offering from Crucial, Kingston, etc.

11. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

From my own experience I've had RAM randomly work in my own Mac, I sent back 2 in a row that didn't work until I got a 3rd that did. Said RAM worked fine in other PC's. Maybe Apple hardware is just more finicky ;)

12. GoDuke1 macrumors member

13. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Even good RAM is soooooo cheap right now it's silly to cut corners to save, what, $5?

Buy the mainline stuff. It's all dirt cheap right now.

14. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

4GB Crucial SODIMM for iMac is only 48.99 w/ 20% discount right now. That's pretty cheap.

15. parkerross macrumors newbie

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

2x4GB DDR3 1066 - $105

I doubt that anyone on eBay ships 16GB for $150. I have the G.Skill ones installed, they work fine. I don't think that iRAM is bad either. If you search around for those, I guess you'd even find them for <$100.

17. Tasker macrumors newbie

Try Crucial

Try the Crucial site it will supply a small program to determine compatible ram and its cost. I have upgraded a 17" 2009 Macbook Pro 4g to 8g and an 21.5 2010 iMac 4g to 12g using Crucial's recommendations. It's reasonably priced very quick delivery, and testing with Geek Bench before and after revealed a good score. Also used Apple's Tech Tools and it reported everything working okay.