Would it be better for the iPad Mini to be released with the iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appswipe, Sep 10, 2012.

1. appswipe, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

I know the iPad Mini is just a rumor but IF Apple releases an iPad Mini then I'll be first in line for one since I'd gladly trade screen size for portability. BUT, as much as I want one then I'm also not in a big rush for it. So I'm wondering if it would be better for everyone if the iPad Mini is released alongside the iPad 4.

My thinking for releasing them together is this:
    + Announcing halfway through release cycle will have last years specs
    + Not every iPad Mini buyer is in it only for price so having equal specs might be good
    + Apple pricing across the entire product line MIGHT change due to emerging competition
    + iPhone/iPod Touch updates will be plenty for holiday season so forcing in a product is unecessary
    + Apple doesn't often release products off-schedule

So what do you think? Is it better off grabbing the holidays or waiting to keep the iPad and iPad Mini on the same schedule?

2. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

1. never give people a choice
    2. always grab the holidays
    3. ???
    4. profit
    5. rinse, repeat

3. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Better for who? Apple or the consumer?

1. For Apple it's better to keep them separate. The money-no-object folks will grab the iPad mini for it's novelty size-factor, but still buy a full iPad 4 six months later.
    2. For consumers on budgets, it's better if they release together. Makes it easier for the consumer to decide where their limited dollars go.

BTW, Apple has released a 'hot' product mid-cycle before. 1st gen Nano released Sept 2005 with 2GB and 4GB models only. Six months later (Sept 2006, mid-cycle) out came the cheaper 1GB version. Safely after the Christmas returns period had expired. Hmm. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Nano

4. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

What would the market segmentation for an ipad 4 be exactly? Tablets are going to around 7", the larger ones are likely to ALL transmorph into hybrid tablets with detachable keyboards.

5. snow blind macrumors regular

I do remember this; however, the Nano carried no where near the percentage of sales that the iPad does. Apple is going to stick to a relatively yearly or yearly+ upgrade schedule with the "iPad mini" likely to appear for this holiday season. (just MHO)

6. Liquinn Suspended

Lookin forward to getting the iPad Mini and iPad 4. :) :apple: