Would it be crazy to buy a MBA now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wolfpackfan, Aug 15, 2014.

  1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

    Jun 10, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I know this is a stupid question and I usually scoff at people who post them. I know at some point in the next couple of months a new MBA will be introduced but we are going on a trip in two weeks and I really could use a laptop while on the trip. It's not life or death, etc. but it would make things easier while on the trip. Right now I don't have a laptop, just two Mac mini's, and have been planning on getting an MBA with the next refresh. But am wondering now about just going ahead and getting one now and not worry about the refresh. And I know that only I can decide how important it is to have one on the trip. Any opinions? Would an MBA refresh be worth waiting for at this point?
  2. Dweez macrumors 65816


    Jun 13, 2011
    Down by the river
    If you need it now, buy it now. If not, wait.
  3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

    Jun 10, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Let me ask you this, would you say that it is safe to say that an MBA refresh will not happen until Yosemite is released?
  4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am not convinced that a new MBA will be announced in the next couple of months.

    If you need a MBA, there are some good deal on them. I just bought mine a few months ago and I am happy, very happy.
  5. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

    Jun 10, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Another question - is there any downside to buying a refurbished? Right now the Apple Store has a 256GB 11" for $869.
  6. quackers82 macrumors 6502

    Mar 13, 2014
    No downside to refurb, only way you can tell is the fact it comes in a different box.

    Personally the MacBook Air is the best laptop I have ever owned, I even prefer it to my retina pro just because of the battery life and it's thinness.

    Just get the air now, so what if they get refreshed in a few months, the current MacBook Air still looks smart, is powerful, and ultra portable! It will still run your program's and work in the internet fine. *if* the air does get an overhaul you can always sell the existing air as they hold their value quite well and put that towards a new one.
  7. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    No real downsides that I know of. While I bought my mid 2013 MBA new, I did buy my late 2013 iMac as a refurb. Aside from the lower price and plain white box, it looked and works no different from new. Warranty, support and return options are all the same as new, too.

    Also, chances are very slim any new Macs are coming out before Yosemite is released.
  8. Atomic Walrus, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

    Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

    Sep 24, 2012
    The idea that the MBA would be updated before the end of 2014 comes from some mixed up rumors about a "fanless" 12" rMBA. I assume people think this would use the Broadwell Core-M chips, but a fanless MBA would be a massive performance regression from the current systems. Considering how severe this performance hit would be I highly doubt Apple will use those chips in a system intended to replace the current Air line.

    I think it's more likely that, whatever the next MBA generation ends up being, we won't see it until the 15W ULV Broadwell chips (early 2015). Apple can trade some power efficiency gains from the CPU for a better quality screen without impacting the overall battery life or performance.

    Personally I'd probably rather see a high quality IGZO IPS panel at the current resolution than deal with the CPU and GPU loads introduced by retina scaling, but that's just me.
  9. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I think we are on the cusp of a MBA refresh, but if you need one now and cannot wait, then the decision has been made for you. If you can hold out then it will be better.
  10. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Exactly my thoughts on the issue. If you need a MBA, buy one now - the 2013 model is a superb machine; if you merely want one, then, I suggest that you wait.

    I so not know; however, personally, I never buy any new technology the minute - or, the month - it has been released in order to give Apple a few months to address and sort out any glitches that a new system inevitably will have.


    No, there is no downside to buying a refurb (apart from the box that it will come in, which is different to the box that you will be given when you buy a brand new Apple).

    I have had refurbs and they were excellent.
  11. sracer macrumors 604


    Apr 9, 2010
    I'm not a fan of Apple refurbs. In my opinion, and it is nothing more than my opinion, refurbs aren't discounted enough to warrant buying one.

    When I buy an Apple product, I do so with the intention of keeping it and using it until "the wheels fall off". The cost difference between new and refurb is negligible when spread over that time period.

    The only way I could see myself buying a refurb was if I was going to keep the device for a short time (1 year or less).
  12. Rigged macrumors newbie


    Jul 6, 2010
    New England
    Best Buy is having a sale on the latest MBA with an .edu email. I just bought one for $800 including tax.

    If you always want to wait for the newest you won't ever buy anything.
  13. iterva macrumors regular

    Jun 16, 2013
    Would it be crazy to buy a MBA now?

    OP -
    As stated: If you need one now, then buy one.


Share This Page