Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I think SSD is going to be expensive for a while, but as far as I can tell the upside of SSD is mostly in applications and OS. I just have a hard disk drive now. Music and video play right away, but what takes time is launching applications. I'm probably going to get a SSD and put it where my DVD writer is, but it will require that after I get the drive I put some things on 1 drive and not the other. I'd rather have 1 drive that automatically saves programs to the SSD and everything else to the HDD.
A drive with sections wouldn't need a 128GB SSD because it could just be running data. It should be far less expensive way to provide data. I'll admit that I only know so much about this, but this is my observation.
I hope by the time my I need my next Macbook Pro, Apple or a third party starts providing drives for this demographic of users.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Seagate Momentus XT

That's the best hybrid drive that is currently out there. The 4GB SSD works like cache so things that are used more frequently gets saved there while other data stays in HD.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
You might want a hybrid drive, such as the Seagate Momentus XT, instead of putting in two separate drives.

Edit: a bunch of people already beat me to it.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
But is 4 GB of SSD enough and does it automatically put programs on SSD?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But is 4 GB enough?

Of course not. You can't decide what goes to the SSD and what goes to the HD. As I said, the SSD will act like cache so frequently accessed files will be saved there in order to increase performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.