would it be easier to update jailbreak or restore to factory settings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dooftrooper, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Dooftrooper macrumors newbie

Hey i have an iphone 3gs running on ios 4.1 jailbroken and unlocked.
    my phone is currently on ipad baseband 06.15.00 as it was originally on 05.16.06 which is incompatible with ultrasnow.

i recently found out that a untethered jailbreak for 5.1.1 is available (which will be cool as there is quite a few games ect. that dont work on my current ios) but if i update through redsnow or absinthe will this effect my baseband? will i have to reflash it (which i dont know how to do) or will i have to do something else??

or

my friend who previously owned my phone said he will pay for an official unlock for me but will i then have to change the phone back to the original baseband and how would i do it.

i really need some help and any information will be very much appreciated.
    i hope this gets sorted out
    thankyou for looking

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Don't update your baseband at all. You risk reducing your phone to an iPod Touch. Anytime you have an iPad BB, you don't want to touch it.

You can make a 5.1.1 IPSW in RedSn0w that will let you update to that firmware without updating the baseband, though (tutorial on iClarified.com).

3. Dooftrooper thread starter macrumors newbie

ok wont touch the baseband. sorry am a noob at some of this stuff... what does IPSW stand for? and so will that work for the untethered version? would this be fairly straightforward?? i am not familiar with iclarified.com will have a look now :)

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

No worries - that's what the forum is for :) Definitely browse around iClarified for a bit - I learned a ton from there.

IPSW = firmware. Same term 5.1.1 is an IPSW.

Under the tutorials section, there is a guide called "How to upgrade to 5.x.x Without Updating Your Baseband". I belive the guide references 5.1, but the steps are identical for 5.1.1.

Good luck!

5. Dooftrooper thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome so i have been doing some research and i have found out how to update to ios 5.1.1 while preserving the baseband using either redsnow or snowbreeze but i have seen that it then wont be jailbroken. so do i run absinthe after updating the ios? will look in to it more but i'd thought i would ask :)

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

The only way you really un-jailbreak to to restore via iTunes. In your case, you would build a NO_BB 5.1.1 iPSW using RedSn0w, then go to iTunes and press "Shift (Windows) or Alt (Mac) + Restore", then selct the firmware you just made.

When it installs that firmware, it will not be jailbroken. From there, you will run Absinthe or RedSn0w (the jailbreak option this time) to jailbreak.

Any time you restore the divice to any Apple firmware, you will lose your jailbreak. Hope that helps.