Would it be possible to trade my black iphone for a white one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khurram, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Khurram macrumors 6502

So I bought the 16gb black iphone on launch day.
    My wife got the white 16gb. Each day i'm starting to like the white one more and more.
    I know you can return iphones within 14 days I believe.
    I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to trade in my black 16gb to the apple store for a white one?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

the restocking fee applies to returns within 14 days as well?

4. sidewalkscenes macrumors newbie

at at&t they said they only charge the restock fee if the box is open.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Just make up a reason u want to return it for another one. Like, crashing phone, intermittent touch issues, etc.....

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i guess you can try that too...

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Depends what country your in for the restocking fee. Theres no restocking fee in the UK and some others IIRC.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They'll usually test that out before they hand over another phone if the OP wants to change the color. You don't think that people can't see right through that crap? If he were to go in for a new one, same color/size then perhaps it'd work to lie, otherwise you just look like a d-bag.

10. skierdb526 macrumors regular

call apple complain about waiting in line forever just to end up with the phone you didnt want and they will happily exchange it... if they have any in stock!

11. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I'm going to try it. I've got a black phone arriving this week (yeah right...) and when it shows up I'm going straight to the Apple Store to see if I can change it before I open the box. Worth a try anyway.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

13. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in manhattan.
    I believe it's a 10 % restocking fee which i'm fine with.
    Trying to say that they didn't have white when I was in line wouldn't work because the cube has had all models in stock constantly.
    I'll just be honest, pay the 10 percent and switch out for a white.

14. james948 macrumors 6502

Someone mentioned, and this sounds unlikely but does make sense to me, that because the Apple store doesn't give you an opportunity to walk away with the package unopened, there is no restocking fee.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am thinking of changing to the white aswell.

Does it get dirty?
    Will it go yellow because of heat?

15. tobyg macrumors 6502a

When I was buying mine I asked them about returning the phone because the way I was doing this I may have to return it (long story, short version is I was buying it with the wifes phone (hers was elligible, mine wasn't, same family plan) and then going to switch the phone #'s/phones around at the AT&T store because they said I could do that but Apple couldn't) and she said I could return it if AT&T couldn't do what they needed to do. I asked about restocking and she said they aren't charging a restocking fee at this time. Now that was on a flat out return. If you want a different model such as white for black, when nothing was actually wrong, they may still charge a restocking fee. It's within their right, I believe. But YMMV, every store and every rep is different and you may have luck one day doing a swap with no restocking and the next day at the same store they may not let you.

Just don't do as the other person suggested and lie and say there is something wrong. If you're doing that just to get out of a restocking fee that's considered fraud.

FYI, I like my white. Doesn't seem to scratch up nearly as much as the old iPods did. Seems like it surely has the potential to scratch more than the old iPhone though.