Would it be smart to swap my external's drive for my macbook one? Problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, Jun 3, 2009.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So I am goin to upgrade my internal 250GB for a bigger capacity to 320. I can buy a 320GB bare drive and an enclosure and put my 250 in the enclosure after. Ir just buy a 2.5 external, take it apart and swap drives.

I like the Seagate Free Agent Go's enclosure, so I was thinking of getting one of those. I don't see why that wouldn't work, and they would be relatively the same price. I just don't know what kind of drive is in the Free Agents.

Does anyone know? And if this would be an ok idea?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-SamIchi

I'd go with Option #1, buy the naked new drive for internal, and swap the old internal to external enclosure. Though on the enclosure, I'd recommend something like Other World Computing's whose shells are grounded, providing protection from EMPs.

Ok, before you think I have a tin foil hat about nuclear war or something, I'm referring to the far more likely nearby lightning strike. :)

Oh, and if you are looking to use the external for a backup drive, I'd recommend the backup drive always be bigger than the source.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks, I already have another external for backups (750GB), I'll be using this one for misc stuff. Thanks for the advice.

4. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

I see no problem in your original plan, I've taken out HDDs from externals and used them as internals and vice versa. It's worked for me and I've never had any problems.